Max # of folders and file size?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Max # of folders and file size?

Postby txtoby » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Hello!
I am brand new to BRN. Over the years I have saved multiple computers file contents (PICTURES) onto several external harddrives. I've now copied all of those files into my new computer. Obviously I have a TON of duplicate files/pictures... some that have been renamed from "Picture001" to "Chloe's birthday party".

What I am trying to accomplish is to bulk rename all of those pictures so the ones (that have the same file name (example "Pic001"), but are DIFFERENT pictures... Does BRU let you rename and use the date / time or some other unique identifier so there aren't multiple "Pic001"s

I can then use another utility to eliminate the dupes. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! This has been years of bad file management :) :lol:

Toby
txtoby

Re: Max # of folders and file size?

Postby txtoby » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:03 pm

**Also, is there a maximum number of files that BRN can change?
If I have 5 folders that have tons of sub folders... will BRN go down the folder tree (meaning, am I going to have to open each and every subfolder?
txtoby

Postby KenP » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:22 pm

You have a couple of options with the photos

On the menu bar "Renaming Options - ID3/Exif Data - Extract Exif Data".

Or

"Numbering (10)" will let you give each file a unique number (either prefix or suffix).

I don't know of a maximum number of files that can be handled by BRU but if you select the main directory and check "Subfolders" in Filters (12) you shouldn't have to open each separate folder to see the files.

Also check out "Renaming Options - Prevent duplicates" in the help file.
KenP

Postby txtoby » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:16 pm

You're awesome Ken. Thanks for the help! I'll dig in and let ya know how it turns out
txtoby

Postby txtoby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:20 pm

I took several screen shots, but I do not see where I can attach them to this thread. I got the file renaming convention down and learned (enough). Here is what I did and the error code:

MY FILE CHANGE SETUP
File name (BRU: Suffix, Date 09/17/16, MDY) and the result was “IMG_001” to “IMG_001 091716”
I selected "Include subfolders”. Selected all files. Then RENAME.

Note: I have MAIN FOLDER, then 30 Subfolders, and who knows how many sub-sub folders ?
TOTAL: 8,086 files to rename

ERROR CODE: “The system cannot find the path specified”
“Ignore this error and continue processing”? >> I clicked yes 100 times.. and it kept popping up. I gave up. It only changed 826 file names out of 8,086 selected files

SOLUTION?
**I’m assuming it might be because the BRU changed the Main folders / subfolders name by adding 091716 to the ends? Or changing the IMG name changed the folder path?

Thanks for your help! I’m trying to rename 770 gigs of pictures, word docs,…. Everything! >> then use dupe razor to slash out all of the years of creating a royal nightmare!
txtoby

Postby txtoby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:23 pm

I anyone wants to see the actual screen shots, step by step,... PM me an email address and I'll send them over. Thx!
txtoby

Postby KenP » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Unless I'm missing something there doesn't appear to be a PM option on this board, so your best option may be to put the screen-shots on an image hosting site then link to them here.

txtoby wrote:**I’m assuming it might be because the BRU changed the Main folders / subfolders name by adding 091716 to the ends?

I think that is most likely the problem.

From what you've said it seems that you had the folders selected as well as the files, I believe the error you've described would be consistent with BRU not being able to find the folder name because it's been changed while BRU is open.

I think that if you want to change both the folder names and the file names you would have to select and name change the folders first, then possibly close and reopen BRU before selecting and changing the names of the files.

Alternatively you could rename the files first then the folders, either way I doubt you'll be able to change the names of the files and folders in the same operation without problems.
KenP

Postby txtoby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Hmmmmmm..... (looking up and thinking..) If that's the case, and I cannot select folders that have subfolders in them.... then I'll probably have to "unwind" the folder tree (meaning, I cannot have subfolders in subfolders in subfolders? I'd have to copy and past each folder in to one MAIN FOLDER? Like "Main folder", then sit there one by one and cut / paste subfolders into the "Main folder" .... so its flat - there is only one level? (if that made any sense :)

Main Pictures
Birthday pictures ( subfolders: Max, Chloe, Tiffany....etc; then 1st birthday, 2nd birthday, etc etc)
Travel (subfolders: Hawaii, Honeymoon, Cancun... etc;
txtoby

Postby txtoby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Is there a check box .// function that keeps BRU from renaming file folders (similar to the checkbox to include subfolders)?

That might solve the problem, unless even renaming the file NAMES in the folders jacks up the file path.. causing that error?
C://Mypictures/hobbies/IMG_Apple >>>C://Mypictures/hobbies/IMG_Apple 091029 Looks pretty clean since nothing follows "091029"
txtoby

Postby txtoby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:57 pm

"Hold the door Batman" :) I think it was basic user error here. I didn't know that when you selected the tip-top main folders and selected "subfolders" that ALL of the individual files of all subfolders.... are listed under all of the folders in the BRU interface (I assumed that they were buried).. NOPE! I simply started with the first FILE... went to the very bottom (Shift/click), and RENAME! VOIALA! Whew!!!! I thought was in for about 10 hours of work!!!

I am going to do a Camtasia screen video of me doing it so I can share on this thread for the next newbie that comes in with the same problem.
txtoby

Postby KenP » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Yep, you select just the files you want to rename not the folders.

Sounds like you've got it sorted :D
KenP

Return to BRU Support