BRU not responding when accessing local drives

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU not responding when accessing local drives

Postby vonsworld » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm

I have been using BRU with no problems for several months and think it's a great utility.

But all of a sudden today a problem has arisen.

I am running the latest version of BRU on Windows 7 SP1.

When you start BRU all the menu options work fine until you try selecting a local drive in the top left pane. At that point BRU freezes and windows reports the program is not responding.

I have tried reinstalling BRU and restarting Windows but that does not help.

Curiously if you connect an external USB hard drive then BRU can access that without a problem. It is only the local drives that cause the program to freeze.

Any suggestions for a solution please?

Thanks Robin :)
vonsworld

Re: BRU not responding when accessing local drives

Postby therube » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm

I have been using BRU with no problems...
...all of a sudden today

Changes on your end?
Added a new program?
Program update?
Anti-virus?

Any change if you restart your computer in Safe Mode?
therube

Postby vonsworld » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks for your reply, I have now found the solution.

I recently backed up my Plex media server database by creating a zip file in the root of my internal D: drive. This zip file contains 40,000 folders.

BRU hadn't actually stopped responding, it was just attempting to display the folder structure of the zip file and not surprisingly taking a very long time. Simply renaming the Zip file extension has cured the problem, BRU is now working fine.

Robin
vonsworld

Postby gmoyle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Thanks for that fix. This has been bothering me for sometime and I finally found some time to do some googling. I had several large zip files on my root D drive (which was the only one causing the "not responding" issue.

I moved them to a subfolder and the problem vanished.

Thanks again!
gmoyle

Postby PatatiPatata » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Hello,
I've been using BRU 2.7.1.2 for a long time on Windows 10, and I was extremely happy with it.
After a few months not needing it, I tried to use it today and realise that I now have this problem on most folders.
I upgraded to the latest version 3.0.0.1, with exactly the same behaviour.

I get the same behaviour if accessing local files or network locations.

For some reason, I'm able to read "some" folders. Could it be because they contain only certain file types?
I can open folders with only .iso, .epub, etc, but if they contain a .jpg or .mp3, I get the (Not Responding) issue.

I see no apparent link with the presence of .zip files in the directory tree.

This is an amazing tool, and I'd like to keep using it. At the moment, it is completely useless to me.

Regards,

(I posted this reply to two similar threads, I hope it is acceptable to the forum)

--------------

Update:
For some reason, it looks like Windows 10 had the issue. I tried to select "Open with..." from file explorer and got the same "not Responding" behaviour. A reboot solved my issue.
PatatiPatata

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 am

Fixed in version 3.1
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support