Removing only text in a closed bracket

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Removing only text in a closed bracket

Postby ncawson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi everyone. LOVE the program!!! Has saved me many countless hours. Just a quick query... Looking to remove only the 'text' field in the bottom file layouts i.e. within brackets normal and square. Essentially just want to keep the 'filename' and 'date'. Please help or guide me to a place for further information. Nic.

eg:
FILENAME (1991)(text)

eg:
FILENAME (1983)(text - a to z)[text -a to z]

eg.
FILENAME (text - a to z) (1974)(text - a to z)[text -a to z]
ncawson

Re: Removing only text in a closed bracket

Postby therube » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:23 pm

If its always 4-digits in parenthesis, & only one set of them at that, you could do something like:

1:RegEx:
Code: Select all
Match:  (.*\(\d\d\d\d\))
Replace:  \1

(I didn't actually check the code, so very possible it is wrong ;-).)
therube

Postby KenP » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 pm

This should work.

RegEx (1)
Match: ^([^(|[]*).*(\(\d{4}\))
Replace: \1\2
KenP

Postby ncawson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 am

Thank you for your help guys!!! I have a lot of reading ahead of me to start understanding this stuff further... Much appreciated!

Just wanted to question why I can't simply input something like (a-z*) in replace (3) and leave the with field blank??? That is the brackets I want to delete only contain words and I could just specify the removal of all brackets with works ONLY? Not sure if its possible but the previous codes provided look amazingly elaborate for what I want to do...
ncawson

Postby KenP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:33 am

ncawson wrote:Just wanted to question why I can't simply input something like (a-z*) in replace (3) and leave the with field blank??? That is the brackets I want to delete only contain words and I could just specify the removal of all brackets with works ONLY? Not sure if its possible but the previous codes provided look amazingly elaborate for what I want to do...

You can put the brackets/parenthesis with the text into Replace (3) to remove it, the problem is that it would only work if you specify the text and the brackets/parenthesis, i.e. (text to remove) but that won't remove anything slightly different such as [text to remove], the reason for using RegEx is that it can remove both the brackets and any text inside the brackets without specifying the exact text or brackets/parenthesis.

All you have to do is copy and paste the codes given into the RegEx boxes Match and Replace, to be honest I don't really see what's so elaborate about that :?

Anyway, good luck and if you need any further help just ask :wink:
KenP

Postby ncawson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 am

Thank you KenP. I agree that cutting and pasting is much more simplified process provided you have no issues with formulating the code every time I see fit? The pay will be non-existent and the hours terrible, but plentiful? Don't rush your decision.

Jokes aside... I have only just started using this program and like its capabilities even if my knowledge base is using the Replace (3) function repeatably - but has saved me days of work!!! Where can I get some top notch info about learning your magical code??? I understand the principles - just the execution is lacking.

Cheers. Ps. I did notice that when I put (*) in the Remove (5) field with Special set it only removed the brackets with numbers in them. Very slimier to what I wanted BUT not at all.

Nicholas.

I have another query if I may. I want to change [] to () with a typical set up like: FILENAME DATE. Note: the 'filename' could be made of many words and have numbers included i.e. a movie with date in square brackets [] - I'm over the square mathematical brackets. Thanks in advance.
ncawson

Postby KenP » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

ncawson wrote:Thank you KenP. I agree that cutting and pasting is much more simplified process provided you have no issues with formulating the code every time I see fit? The pay will be non-existent and the hours terrible, but plentiful? Don't rush your decision.

:lol:

ncawson wrote:Jokes aside... I have only just started using this program and like its capabilities even if my knowledge base is using the Replace (3) function repeatably - but has saved me days of work!!! Where can I get some top notch info about learning your magical code??? I understand the principles - just the execution is lacking.

All the information you need is in the help file :wink:

ncawson wrote:I have another query if I may. I want to change [] to () with a typical set up like: FILENAME DATE. Note: the 'filename' could be made of many words and have numbers included i.e. a movie with date in square brackets [] - I'm over the square mathematical brackets. Thanks in advance.

You can change square brackets to parenthesis with "Character Translations".

Special (14)
Character Translations: Selected.

When you tick Character Translations a dialogue box will open, if not you can open it by clicking the icon where it says "Status: ".
In the dialogue box type what characters you want to change, type all the character translations on separate lines.

For instance:
(=[
)=]

When you finished with the character translations be sure to delete them from the dialogue box because the reset button will switch off Character Translations but it does not clear the dialogue box.

Hope this helps :wink:
KenP

Postby ncawson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:38 am

Awesome mate. Cheers. I'll start looking through the help files for guidance.

Your time is greatly appreciated!!!! Nic.
ncawson

Return to BRU Support