I messed up my Music collection! Please help.

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

I messed up my Music collection! Please help.

Postby Win7Forever » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm just learning Serato DJ and accidentally let it tag my entire music collection thereby changing the "date modified" (which is my preferred sort order!) :oops:
I could restore a backup, yes, but I'll lose the 12 hours it took to tag, set bpm info and record all the neat loops, rolls, slices and fades I created. :evil:
Can BRU or BRC set date modified by comparison with a restored backup of the folder tree? :?:

Thanks in advance.
Win7Forever

Re: I messed up my Music collection! Please help.

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 am

No, sorry, BRU can't do that!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:07 pm

If the file names between your backup & current match, you might be able to automate something...

Restore your backup to a temporary location
Gather both sets of filenames
Use a "touch" utility (found in CoreUtils, Binaries)

c:/tmp/aqualung.mp3
c:/tmp/locomotive breath.mp3
c:/music/tagged/aqualung.mp3
c:/music/tagged/locomotive breath.mp3

Code: Select all
touch  "c:/music/tagged/aqualung.mp3"   --reference="c:/tmp/aqualung.mp3"
touch  "c:/music/tagged/locomotive breath.mp3"   --reference="c:/tmp/locomotive breath.mp3"

You could either gather the names, placing them side by side, like above, using an editor to insert the "touch" at the beginning, the quotes, & the "--reference=" for each line in the file, or you could read the filenames using variables & use a for loop to run through the list, kind of thing...
therube

Postby Win7Forever » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:56 am

therube wrote:If the file names between your backup & current match, you might be able to automate something...

Restore your backup to a temporary location
Gather both sets of filenames
Use a "touch" utility (found in CoreUtils, Binaries)

c:/tmp/aqualung.mp3
c:/tmp/locomotive breath.mp3
c:/music/tagged/aqualung.mp3
c:/music/tagged/locomotive breath.mp3

Code: Select all
touch  "c:/music/tagged/aqualung.mp3"   --reference="c:/tmp/aqualung.mp3"
touch  "c:/music/tagged/locomotive breath.mp3"   --reference="c:/tmp/locomotive breath.mp3"

You could either gather the names, placing them side by side, like above, using an editor to insert the "touch" at the beginning, the quotes, & the "--reference=" for each line in the file, or you could read the filenames using variables & use a for loop to run through the list, kind of thing...

Thanks, but that'd take longer than re-doing the work I'd lose, so I came up with a better solution; rename the root music folder to "Music-Tagged+" and restore my backup, then just maintain two live copies. It's only 30 GB. I have over 12 TB of storage to play with.
Win7Forever

Postby Emerkamp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi:

Free Commander has a dual pane compare tool. Pretty sure you can compare files and folders by,size/dates, Then maybe you can reorder them somehow, then do a batch date change.
It can do folder sync along with different date/time shifts.

Maybe that can help you somehow.
Emerkamp

Postby Win7Forever » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Emerkamp wrote:Hi:

Free Commander has a dual pane compare tool. Pretty sure you can compare files and folders by,size/dates, Then maybe you can reorder them somehow, then do a batch date change.
It can do folder sync along with different date/time shifts.

Maybe that can help you somehow.

Thanks, but that too would just be too much effort and would take longer than re-doing the work I'd lose, so I came up with a better solution; rename the root music folder to "Music-Tagged+" and restore my backup, then just maintain two live copies. It's only 30 GB. I have over 12 TB of storage to play with.

It's okay. I'll be fine. Thank god for Acronis True Image.
Win7Forever

Postby Admin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 am

For your backups you might want to try/evaluate this software: http://viceversa.pro/
by the same people who make BRU :)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support