apply strings from an external file to my new file names?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

apply strings from an external file to my new file names?

Postby cagross » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello. I am wondering if Bulk Rename Utility can apply strings from an external file to the new file names it assigns? To clarify, let's say I have 100 files to rename, and the 100 new file names are located in a plain text file--one on each line. Is there a way to tell BRU to assign these file names to the files? Obviously there may be issues with order--how do I ensure BRU applies the names in the desired order?

Or could I specify to BRU a CSV file with two columns--the first column consists of the existing file name while the second column consists of the new file name?

Thanks in advance.
cagross

Re: apply strings from an external file to my new file names?

Postby therube » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm

"Renaming From A Text File

With Bulk Rename Utility it is possible to rename files according to a text file. The text file should contain a list of "old name" and "new name" pairs, separated by a pipe symbol ( | ).

To use this facility, create a text file in for the correct format, for example:

Track001.mp3|Headlong.mp3
Track002.mp3|Rushes.mp3
TRACK003.mp3|AnywhereIs.mp3

One entry per line.

Next, click the Import Rename-Pairs on the Actions menu and load your file. If the file is valid then you will see the "new name" column reflecting the contents of the text file.

When comparing the current filename with the text file, the application ignores the case of the filename, e.g. it will match Track001.mp3 and TRACK001.mp3. This makes it easy to rename the files."
therube

Postby KenP » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Yes you can do that with BRU :D

On BRU menu go to "Actions / Import Rename-Pairs...".

In the help file go to "Additional Features / Renaming From A Text File".

Basically You put a bar | between the old file name and the new file name and put one on each line.
Old_File_Name|New_File_Name

I haven't tried this in BRU so I could be wrong, but I assume that if there are spaces in the file name it needs to be wrapped in quotation marks the same as renaming with a .bat file.

"Old File Name"|"New File Name"
KenP

Postby Panchdara » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 pm

I'd have thought that writing a batch file would have been just as simple. dir /b > somefile then edit somefile.

? just curious here as it seems that using the import rename-pairs was equivalent to a batch file (with GUI interface)?
Panchdara

Postby cagross » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry for the late reply--I didn't receive any email notifications so I thought no one had replied. I guess I neglected to enable email notifications.

Thanks for the info. Next time I need to rename from a file, I'll give this a shot.

Thanks!
cagross

Postby a.rikers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Dear Sir / Madam,

I use BRU and would like to submit the following question:
I have file names in which the title is repeated.
Do you have a solution to my problem?

Old: Abba - Does Your Mother Know - Abba - Does Your Mother Know - Top 40 - Top 40 1979 Complete .mp3

New: Abba - Happy NewYear .mp3

Thanks in advance,

Albert Rikersal.rikers@gmail.com
a.rikers

Return to BRU Support