Add increment to existing numbering

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Add increment to existing numbering

Postby KHL » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:11 am

Jim,

thanks for the implementation of my Bulk Rename Here suggestion. I'll of course help testing the latest Beta. This is the least I can do. I assume the Beta does not provide this feature, yet?

What I'd like to see is an Undo Rename button right beside/below the Rename button.

And just a slight change:
I work with both message boxes after renaming operations. Without moving the cursor it's a bit difficult to hit the second OK-button, as its position on the screen isn't the same than the first one's. The cursor just "scratches" the edge of the second button...
Of course the user could strike the return key instead, but at the first window he/she would not know whether the action would be processed or canceled.
Last edited by KHL on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHL

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:34 am

Can you confirm BOTH message boxes? There's only the one, which says rename complete" etc.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:52 am

The first is the warning before renaming, the second is the confirmation afterwards.
For both "Show this message again" is enabled.

Sorry for the confusion.
KHL

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Ok thanks. I thought that would be the case, I just wanted to confirm.

I had actually forgotten the windows were there, since I have them both disabled :shock:

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:35 pm

I sometimes consider disabling the boxes, too, but on the other hand I need confirmation whether or not some files have been correctly renamed.

This brings another previous suggestion back to my mind:
May it be possible to ADD an increment (e.g. +10 or so) to an existing numbering?

I often need to rename twice due to the following reasons:

Original filenames:

I need to insert a new file into 3rd place, so the filenames need to be moved up by +1:
03 -> 04
04 -> 05
09 -> 10
10 -> 11
to make room for (not yet available) new file 03.

BRU then shows a failure message, that 03 could not be renamed as target 04 already exists, etc.

Thus I need to rename the batch of files to 14...21 first to avoid the failure message and then change back to the desired order 04...11

If there was the "add increment +10 to existing numbering" option, I'd save one renaming operation.
KHL

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:38 pm

In this instance you're better to sort your files correctly, then use the options to remove the existing numbers altogether and add a new autonumber suffix.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Sorry, but I'm afraid you did not understand me:
The files actually ARE correctly sorted.
Its numberings should only "move up" by the specified increment (+1), no re-sorting required/necessary:
KHL

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:39 pm

ok, so why not sort them in reverse order and use the autonumber with an increment of -1? Or rename them with a prefix of X and then simply remove the X in a subsequent operation?

The software can't increment a number that's already there - how would it know to increment the 10/11 and not the 51?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Admin wrote:ok, so why not sort them in reverse order and use the autonumber with an increment of -1? Or rename them with a prefix of X and then simply remove the X in a subsequent operation?

Okay, that's another possible way to sort this out, but it results in two renamings as well, as mentioned previously and that's what I wanted to avoid.

By the way, I've changed the original subject to give a link to the actual thread.
KHL

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 pm

It's a difficult one. For your scenario it could probably be done, but it's quite specific. If somebody had an autonumber prefix, or something similar then it wouldn't be practical. Even allowing people to say where the number is (e.g. at the start, or at the end) wouldn't work well - for example where the number resides immediately beside a letter etc.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Add increment to existing numbering

Postby jeremygharrison » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 pm

More generically, a useful feature would be able perform various mathematical operations (add, subtract,...) to defined (numeric) parts of file names - or is this something which can be done through regular expressions?
jeremygharrison

Return to Suggestions