Renaming Folders

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Renaming Folders

Postby rdeckard2019 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:23 am

I sometimes need to rename hundreds of files at a time and BRU has been awesome, particularly since it is one of the few truly powerful renaming tools with Unicode support, so thank you for that!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way to perform a search within BRU to show only the folders or files containing the characters/phrase I am looking for, so what I do is use the standard Windows 7 search within Explorer to perform the search, select all, open BRU and drag the search results into BRU. This works great and keeps the file list in BRU limited to only the files I wish to edit.

However, I recently needed to rename a bunch of folders. I do the same as above but this time just grab the folders from the search results and drag them over.
The problem here is, BRU will not populate with any folders, only the files within those folders/subfolders. If I uncheck Files and leave only Folders and Subfolders checked, nothing at all comes up in BRU.

I know I can just start within BRU and select the whole drive, etc., but then I am looking at every folder/subfolder in the drive (over 100k folders) as opposed to the few hundred that I need to see, so it gets cumbersome.

Is there any way to have BRU view folders when dragged over from Windows Search results?
Otherwise, is there any way to search for, filter or otherwise only show the folders I wish to edit within BRU?

Thank you for your time!
rdeckard2019

Re: Renaming Folders

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:40 am

Hi, using Filters (12) -> Mask you can filter files / folders based on characters in name and other parms.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rdeckard2019 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Ha! Thanks for this - I was trying to use a reg expression - is this supported?
Otherwise, is there a tutorial or examples somewhere on how to enter strings in the BRU Filters field?
Also, does BRU have the option to add a shell extension? It's certainly not critical but having the ability to right-click selected folders or files in Explorer and load them into BRU would be convenient.

BTW - this is off-topic, but when I initially tried to register for the forum yesterday using a gmail address, I received an error saying something like "this type of email address is not allowed".
Any idea why?

Thanks again!
rdeckard2019

Postby rdeckard2019 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:47 pm

rdeckard2019 wrote:Ha! Thanks for this - I was trying to use a reg expression - is this supported?

Uh.. wasn't on the latest version...
rdeckard2019

Postby Admin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 am

Hi,

Thanks for this - I was trying to use a reg expression - is this supported?

yes, version 3 or newer

Otherwise, is there a tutorial or examples somewhere on how to enter strings in the BRU Filters field?

Please see manual:
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

Also, does BRU have the option to add a shell extension? It's certainly not critical but having the ability to right-click selected folders or files in Explorer and load them into BRU would be convenient.

Yes, a shell extension "Bulk Rename Here" is can be optionally installed during setup.

BTW - this is off-topic, but when I initially tried to register for the forum yesterday using a gmail address, I received an error saying something like "this type of email address is not allowed".
Any idea why?

At the moment we do not accept gmail accounts as we get a lot of forum spam from spammers using gmail account.

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tom__H » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

I just tried to register with an @outlook.com address, and got "The e-mail address you entered is not allowed to be used"

After lots of checking for trailing whitespace, miss-spellings etc, I gave up and tried with an @Gmail.com address - and that worked Ok
Tom__H

Return to BRU Support