How to add "Media Created" date to file name

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

How to add "Media Created" date to file name

Postby macleoda » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 am

I am trying to rename a large block of video files. FYI my system W7x64 Ult.

The files in question correctly show the date and time they were shot when observed in the Windows Explorer version. However when checking the file properties, this date appears in a field called "Media Created" within a properties section entitled "Origin".

I have tried ALL of the date options in the autodate section (8) of BRU but none of them pick up this date; I either get the date the file was first copies to different media, or the date of the backup copy I am experimenting with, etc.

Does anyone know either:

a) Is there another way to pick up this date automatically and use it for bulk rename?

b) Is there another application which would allow me to reassign the contents of the file properties (e.g. move this date from "Media Created" to one of the date fields which BRU picks up)?

OR best of all

c) Are the authors aware and will this issue be corrected in a future version of BRU?

Thanks in advance,

Alastair
macleoda

Re: "Media Created" date

Postby macleoda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 am

OK.
Is there any chance this could be picked up in the next release? Seems like a small but important thing - we know the "correct date" is present in the metadata, otherwise it wouldn't appear at all (in fact when listed in Windows Explorer, for files with a Media Created date present, this is the date used by Windows as "the" date). So surely just a case of adding this to the list of drop-down options in the utility?
Otherwise I've got to manually rename nearly 500 files, which rather defeats the purpose!
Thanks in advance...
macleoda

Postby Admin » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 am

Hi, did you try the Auto Date (8) field ? One of the types is "taken" which is from the EXIF data (properties).
Admin
Site Admin

Postby macleoda » Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi

Assuming I understand you correctly there are actually FOUR "Taken" types: Original, Digitized, Modified & Recent.

However, yes, I had tried them and having re-tried following your post... no, none of them work (they are all null fields) - they do not pick up the Media Created date.

Any other thoughts? Could the software pick this up on the next iteration? It must be easy data to find since Windows Explorer shows it as the main "date" when it exists.

Thanks...
macleoda

Postby rokiman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am

Hi,

As of April 27, 2020, the issue still present.

however, there might be a solution posted.
How can I extract the date from the ?Media Created? column of a video file?https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8351713/how-can-i-extract-the-date-from-the-media-created-column-of-a-video-file

Sincerely,

Kevin Chou
rokiman

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am

Hi, did you try using the new File Properties support in the latest version of BRU, see details in operations manual :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rokiman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Admin wrote:Hi, did you try using the new File Properties support in the latest version of BRU, see details in operations manual :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

thanks

Hi,

I tried follow through your example in the manual, Section#7: Add
However, I could not get it working in neither prefix or suffix and in jpg files or mp4 files using the format: <(label | name)>

I tried copy and paste in "show list of File Properties" to avoid syntax error, but it simply did not have any effect.

Bulk rename Utility 64-bit (Unicode) Version: 3.3.1.0

please help!
rokiman

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 am

Hi what is the name of the file property you would like to use? And value? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rokiman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Admin wrote:Hi what is the name of the file property you would like to use? And value? thanks

Hi,

I try to rename MP4 files, file property: Media created, or <(System.Media.DateEncoded)> to add as a prefix. the value would be dated. such as YYYY-MM-DD.

but somehow, there is no output of changes at all.

Ideally, the result of change would be "YYYY-MM-DD Image.jpg" or "YYYY-MM-DD Video.mp4"

Kevin
rokiman

Postby rokiman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi,

I just found out the cause of the problem. I did not check "Extract Window File Property" under "ID3/ Exif Data/ File properties". Therefore no result was given with the command.

but how do I change the date format from default "MM-DD-YYYY Time" to "YYYY-MM-DD"

Kevin
rokiman

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:10 am

File Properties as Dates and Numbers

If you want to add a file property to a file name as a date or as a number, use the property formatting markers.

# will format a property as a number. If a file property value has numbers and letters, the letters will be ignored.
$ will format a property as a date, according to the date and time formatting options as specified in Auto-Date (8).

For instance :
Prefix : <($System.Photo.DateTaken) - > will add the date taken as prefix followed by - , formatted according to values in Auto-Date (8).
Suffix : < - (#ISO speed)> might add " - 100" as suffix. The file property is added as number only.
Suffix : < - (ISO speed)> might add " - ISO100" as suffix. The file property is added as a text string.

--------------------

Try experimenting with Auto-Date (8)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rokiman » Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Admin wrote:File Properties as Dates and Numbers

If you want to add a file property to a file name as a date or as a number, use the property formatting markers.

# will format a property as a number. If a file property value has numbers and letters, the letters will be ignored.
$ will format a property as a date, according to the date and time formatting options as specified in Auto-Date (8).

For instance :
Prefix : <($System.Photo.DateTaken) - > will add the date taken as prefix followed by - , formatted according to values in Auto-Date (8).
Suffix : < - (#ISO speed)> might add " - 100" as suffix. The file property is added as number only.
Suffix : < - (ISO speed)> might add " - ISO100" as suffix. The file property is added as a text string.

--------------------

Try experimenting with Auto-Date (8)

thanks for the instruction, but from the output of the "#" command, I was able to get a date of list of numerical such as 20190813. how would i be able to get "2019-08-13" similar to %Y-%m-%d in Custom option for Auto Date (8)

the Auto Date(8) was great for jpg files, but it did not have the "type" such as "Media created" or "System.Media.DateEncoded".

sincerely,

Kevin Chou
rokiman

Re: How to add "Media Created" date to file name

Postby Admin » Sat May 02, 2020 2:25 am

Hi , did you try using $

Admin
Site Admin

Postby cimaster » Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm

First thanks all to this information, I learned a lot.
Now a litlle contribution with this media created thing: three differents ways to do this, it works with (m4a,mov,m4v,mp4)
resumen : Rename media files using the Media created info in explorer windows 10
(1)
ima00010.m4a ===> yyyymmdd_hhmmss ima00010.m4a
ex: 20051105_153300 ima00010.m4a
into Add(7) check [R]
Prefix = <($System.Media.DateEncoded)>
insert = _
at pos. = 9 to split date_hour yyyymmdd_hhmmss

into AutoDate(8) no need check [R]
mode = None
fmt = YMD HMS
Cent = checked

(2)
ima00010.m4a ===> yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss ima00010.m4a
ex: 2005-11-05-15-33-00 ima00010.m4a
into Add(7) check [R]
Prefix = <($System.Media.DateEncoded)>

into AutoDate(8) no need check [R]
mode = None
fmt = YMD HMS
Sep =
Seg = -
Cent = checked

(3)
ima00010.m4a ===> D-M-YYYY H-MM am/pm ima00010.m4a
ex: 11-5-2005 3-33 PM ima00010.m4a
ex: 3-17-2006 1-47 PM ima00011.mov
into Add(7) check [R]
Prefix = <(System.Media.DateEncoded)> **** note not use $ like (1) and (2) .
In this case just use the date already onto the file no conversion

----- Hope this would be helpful to somebody ---
cimaster

Postby Admin » Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 pm

8)
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to How-To