Open BRU Program in Path of Current DIrectory (of Shortcut)

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Open BRU Program in Path of Current DIrectory (of Shortcut)

Postby Cfguy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi,

Is there a way for me to place a shortcut to the BRU program in a specific directory, and then when that shortcut file is activated, to have BRU open (with the files and folders of the directory in which the shortcut file was located already populated in the program, ready to be renamed?

For example, if I put a shortcut to BRU in the "C:\documents\Financial" directory, when I then click on the BRU shortcut (located within that directory), the BRU program will start with all the files and folders in the "C:\documents\Financial" directory already populated in BRU file screen, ready to be renamed as I desire?

I am hoping that there would be a generic formula (for example, a string in an .ini or the properties section of the shortcut file), so that I could simply copy the shortcut into any folder, ans whatever folder the shortcut was in (and click on), then the files and folders within that folder would be populated in the main screen when BRU starts.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or adivce.

Best Wishes,
CFguy 8)
Cfguy

Re: Open BRU Program in Path of Current DIrectory (of Shortcut)

Postby therube » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Code: Select all
"C:\path to\Bulk Rename Utility.exe"   directorypath

So:

"C:\BRU\Bulk Rename Utility.exe"   "C:\TMP\SEA"
therube

Postby Cfguy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:11 am

]Hi Therube,

Thanks so much for replying to my post.

Unfortunately, I am lost though.

Do you advise me to put the command "C:\path to\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" directorypath" or ""C:\BRU\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "C:\TMP\SEA" into either the "Target" or "Start in" box of the BRU shortcut path (that is placed in any folder in which I want BRU to open and automatically populate with the files in that specific directory?

Or do advise me to add one, or both of these commands to some sort of "ini" file, or different shortcut file (other than standard Icon shortcut file) for BRU?

If you would please be more specific in how to go about this, I would really appreciate it.

As a side note- I see where there is a "right-Click" shortcut named "Bulk Rename Here" (Please click here to see pic of menu item:https://ibb.co/K2zWQB9) that appears to be automatically installed in Windows, when BRU is installed, that basically does exactly what I am looking for. I would just prefer to click an icon within a folder, versus having to "right click" on the specific directory, then "left click" to open BRU in that directory, with all of that specific directories' files and sub-folders already populated, and ready to be re-named. However, if I knew of a way to "recreate" this right-click command (or even copy this right click command, as is) into an icon that could be placed in any directory, then my problem would be solved. Unfortunately, I do not know how to do this (and I am not able to make a copy of the right-click command anyway that I can see via the "right-click" menu).

Thanks again for your help.

-CFGuy 8)
Cfguy

Postby therube » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm

If you're using a directory shortcut, you would put your wanted path on the Target: line.

Your Target: is probably something /like/:
"C:\program files\bulk rename utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe"

And you'd want to append (within quotes, but separate from the path to BRU), your wanted current directory.
"C:\program files\bulk rename utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe"  "C:\TMP\SEA"

If you were starting from a command prompt, batch file, you could do something like this:

BRU.bat:
SET      XDIRNAME="%CD%"
SET
PAUSE

START ""  "C:\program files\bulk rename utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe"   %XDIRNAME%
EXIT

%CD% returns the current working directory, so BRU should start up, pointing to the current directory.
(I didn't actually try this, but it should work.)
therube

Return to How-To