How do I rename and copy only files and not folders

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

How do I rename and copy only files and not folders

Postby OUT2SEE » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pm

My photo library has 38,0000 files across hundreds of folders and sub-folders; I'd like to start the renaming process at to top directory folder and have BRU process through all folders but only rename the files in each folder and only copy the renamed file to a new directory location - the ideal end objective would be to have one folder with all of my renamed files, without folders and sub-folders as defined by the original folder hierarchy . Thanks so much, I have so much to learn, this is so powerful - it reminds me of the "SPF" editor within IBM's "MVS" operating system way back in the 80's and 90's - thanks to the creator of this free tool!!!
OUT2SEE

Re: How do I rename and copy only files and not folders

Postby trm2 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 am

First I refer you to Volume I Book that will explain all of the functionality of the program - it can be downloaded for free at
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4743

Second, to select only files and not folders, in 'Section #12: Filters', make sure that you have:

Files - enabled
Folders - not enabled.

Now press F5 to refresh the Content Pane (the window where all the files display).

Third,

If you need further help, you have to provide several examples - half a dozen or more, in the form:

From …………………………. To …………………………….

That way the experts in here can get a sense of what you want and answer you accordingly.
trm2

Re: How do I rename and copy only files and not folders

Postby RegexNinja » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:03 am

Lol, you've gotta be fast to beat a ninja, but trm2 beat me to it!
Per the manual at: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/foru ... =12&t=4743

#12 Settings:
Files=Checked
SubFolders=Checked
Folders=UnChecked

That prevents folder renaming, and recursively displays all files for renaming.
To MOVE renamed files, you have a couple of options available..
It sounds like you want all renamed files in one folder, so I'd use:

#13 Settings:
The text box specifies: "C:\YourFolderPath\ to hold renamed files.
CopyNotMove=UUnChecked

Also: RenamingOptions/PreventDuplicates=Checked prevents overwriting files with the same NewName.
In such cases, it would append _1, _2, etc to NewName if needed.

There is another way to use: RenamingOptions/Advanced/AllowUsing\ToCreateFolders
But its meant to work with varying FolderNames, creating FolderNames on-the-fly when needed.
All of this is in the manual, hope it helps.
Cheers!
RegexNinja

Return to How-To