Rename the filenames of a list of files.

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Rename the filenames of a list of files.

Postby MichaelIsGreat » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:16 pm

Hello

I thought it should be very easy to rename the filenames of a list of files that are in one particular folder with the filenames of a list of files that are in another folder (exactly the same number of files in each folder with the same order for the files in each folder. Each filename is different. Well, I could not figure out how to do that with BRU.

Thanks for any help solving this task that I thought should be easy to do.

Kind Regards
Michael
MichaelIsGreat

Re: Rename the filenames of a list of files.

Postby therube » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:27 pm

There is no automated way (within BRU to get "generate" the Rename-Pairs), but you could manually perform the steps, or should be able to automate it a bit using a batch file...

viewtopic.php?p=11288#p11288
therube

Postby MichaelIsGreat » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 pm

It is hard to believe that such a simple task cannot be done easily with a tool like BRU. It is an indication that BRU really needs to be improved a lot to make such a simple task easy to do.

Any other people having some feedback on this task that I would like to do with BRU?
MichaelIsGreat

Postby MichaelIsGreat » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm

Here is what BRU should be able to do:
1) copy the filenames (only) of the files that are listed in a folder 1.
2) replace the filenames of the files that are listed in another folder 2 with the filenames just copied in the previous folder 1.
END of the story.
That is as simple as that and BRU cannot even do that? I have a hard time believing that BRU is not capable of doing such a dead simple task?
MichaelIsGreat

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:53 am

Hi , you can do that by creating a file to be imported in BRU (import rename-pairs), using for example Excel or other.
Select all the files in BRU and right click, then use the Clipboard copy menu to copy names with extension.
Do the same on the 2 folders and map files from -> to then import in BRU to rename.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MichaelIsGreat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:59 am

Hello Admin,

Thanks for your feedback.

Could you give me a step by step instructions because, despite trying my best on my own, I could not do what you say I can do and I am an advanced user at using computers and software! Thanks.

Kind Regards
Michael
MichaelIsGreat

Postby trm2 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:33 am

Page 128 of Book, Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manual.

Here’s a method for using a Spreadsheet program to create a Renamed-Pairs list. ….
trm2

Return to How-To