condensed instructions to rename files to allow copying

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

condensed instructions to rename files to allow copying

Postby blue8_gulf » Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 pm

The administration kindly made available the "Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manuel" on the forum here.

However, this PDF is 300+ pages, interesting reading as it may be.

In any event, my goal is to just rename some files so they fall under the WINDOWS too long file path/name length restriction, as I am trying to copy them over to another directory on the same Windows 10 P.C. I was hoping that a forum member might be able to post some condensed some instructions for doing this with the Bulk Rename Utility, if this is possible. I have tried to change the registry to allow WINDOWS, in theory at least, to ignore these "too long" path/file names. However, when I make the registry change, and close the registry, it never takes--you can find many instances of this "fix" posted around the web.

Thank you for your feedback concerning this problem.
blue8_gulf

Re: condensed instructions to rename files to allow copying

Postby therube » Fri May 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Can't Windows itself (Windows Explorer) in Windows 10 correctly handle LFN?

Now it can very well be, & often may be the case, that 3rd party utilities cannot.

A more complete explanation of what you're looking to do?
therube

Postby trm2 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Therube can probably help you with your problem, but I will provide background.

BRU (typo in the Manual will be corrected in next revision) does not support long file names although currently they are looking to address that
along with several other improvements hopefully in the near future (fingers crossed). Anyway, Windows does support long file names and if you do have it
set correctly you can see this in Windows Explorer. Third party utilities though do not automatically use the Long File names and paths - they have to be
specifically reprogrammed to take advantage of this. Many have done so - many have not. It depends on the need and if the program is in active development.

Copying, moving files is as the thrrube described it, best done using Windows itself. BRU is a renaming facility. But it does need longpath- long filename support
for its renaming functionality though and hopefully this will come sooner than later.

As for turning on Windows support for Long File and path names (greater than 260 characters) - this is done through the registry if you do not have the Pro version - otherwise if you do, this can be enabled
in Local Group Policy without changing the Registry. Either way will work.
trm2

Postby trm2 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:48 pm

Pretty expensive for a limited use (does have a 30 day money back guarantee).

Scans long path files
Deletes long path files
Copies long path files
Moves long path files
Automatic bulk renaming

Subscription Plans:

Personal license ( non-commercial usage) $14.70/mo
Business license ( Commercial usage ) $24.70/mo
Business PRO license ( Commercial usage with command line version ) $34.70/mo

Lifetime license ( Any type of usage ) $74.00 (not a subscription - one time payment)

This program was looked down upon for a long time (it has been around forever) because it spammed everything around in its advertising methods. I am unsure
if this is still the case. Update - yes I found another program, LONG PATH Error Fixer, and this is just another renamed Long File Tool, so yes they are still spamming.
Is the program good? I do not know. As I said their advertising methods are very questionable and puts a dark look on what may be a good product. There are also reports that
the trial does nothing but create a long path example which cannot be removed unless you pay for the software - perhaps an early version of Ransomware? Again unverified.
If anyone out there has some information on this or have actually owned and used the product I would be VERY interested in your findings. Please post here.

I wonder if they get by the LFN by using the short DOS name work-around. How this works is that the file name is first converted to the 'short version' then it is
acted upon by the copy/move/ rename and renamed back to the long version. This is how a lot of third party programs operate in order to pseudo-support LFN.

Another method I use - although certainly not in bulk, is to rename the file to a shorter name manually avoiding the 'short' conversion step, perform the function and rename back.
However this method is more applicable to working in a 3rd party non-supported file manager program and not BRU. If you have a lot of files, this is not the method to use. That is why I encourage BRU to fully
support LFN even if it has to use the short Dos name conversion Method - listening TGRMN?

There is also a freeware alternative called Long Path Fixer (not to be confused with the commercial product above) but it is limited to moving/copying and deletion and I do not believe it can do renaming which is obviously not a
substitute for the functionality offered by Long Path Tool.
trm2

Postby therube » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 pm

For finding LFN (those dang letters will cause yet another spam storm), Everything. Do a search for: path:len:>259 (or whatever length you're looking for).

Some parts of Everything do conversions to SFN, when needed, so that allows you to access stuff that you otherwise might not be able to access - without jumping through hoops. So you can drag* a LFN into your media player (which otherwise might not be able to play said file, directly). But even that is not an end-all - once it gets out of Everything's domain,https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1949199#post1949199.

Drag*.
Default double-click action is "Windows", $exec("%1"), at which point you're at Windows mercy.

See also:

Rename long file names
Too long files names
therube

Postby trm2 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:39 pm

What happened to the post I was replying to that inquired about the program Long Path Tool alias Long Path Error Fixer alias Long File Tool and many other aliases? Now it looks like theRube and I are having
a disjointed conversation. Perhaps the Admin removed it as spam which kind of fits into my explanation above. Anyway, it is what it is.

Take Care.

Nice talking with you theRube <chuckle>
trm2

Return to How-To