REMOVE NUMEROUS DIRECTORIES IN FILE FOLDERS- HOW TO (newbie

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

REMOVE NUMEROUS DIRECTORIES IN FILE FOLDERS- HOW TO (newbie

Postby gottcha3 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 pm

I am not a programmer, however I have been able to follow simple instructions and make simple bat files to rename folders, and fix problems. I have also edited the registry without problems. The following request should be so simple but I can't figure out how to do it. I'd like to be able to do it in BRU since I am already renaming files_folders there anyway.
Example of my problem:
MAIN FILE FOLDER
2nd file folder name
3rd file folder name (junk files in here that I want to remove, including this file folder.)
REPEAT ABOVE AT 2nd and 3rd file folder levels numerous times.

Is there a simple command to either move that 3rd directories to A SEPARATE FOLDER ELSEWHERE, so I can view them and delete as most likely it is ALL JUNK.

I have 30 file folders in the 2nd level; each of those file folders has a junk file folder under it (3rd level), making another 30 folders with about 5 to 10 files within that I DON'T WANT. I already copied that info once, I don't need 150 copies of the same files.

How do I do that? I know how to rd in command prompt, but don't know how to do it as a bat file.

Any help would be so appreciated. Almost 70 years old and very hard to learn new things now. :( :?
Nancy
gottcha3

Re: REMOVE NUMEROUS DIRECTORIES IN FILE FOLDERS- HOW TO (newbie

Postby therube » Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm

(Not really sure how BRU fits in here... ?)

Everything, has a parents: function. parents:3 would show files & directories that are 3 levels deep (starting with the drive letter itself, as 1).

"C:\TMP\" parents:2
Code: Select all
C:\TMP\8GB-WIN7-UL
C:\TMP\auto
C:\TMP\BRU
C:\TMP\Ditto
C:\TMP\fastcopy
C:\TMP\ffmpeg
C:\TMP\Intel HD4000 Graphics Driver ZIP
C:\TMP\LEECH
C:\TMP\pcre
C:\TMP\pdf_dup
C:\TMP\SEA
C:\TMP\universalviewerPRO
C:\TMP\X
C:\TMP\xxx_short
C:\TMP\xxx_short0
C:\TMP\ytdl
C:\TMP\253_support_HA
C:\TMP\allfiles.ES
C:\TMP\config.ini
C:\TMP\lzop.exe
C:\TMP\OD.chat.TXT

"C:\TMP\" parents:3
Code: Select all
C:\TMP\SEA\000HIDDEN-OR-NOT
C:\TMP\SEA\062618
C:\TMP\SEA\1
C:\TMP\SEA\10.1.9.3
C:\TMP\BRU\100,000.files.in.here
C:\TMP\SEA\10189rc3
C:\TMP\SEA\2
C:\TMP\SEA\2495+plugins
C:\TMP\BRU\2020-01-01_this-is a test.JPG
C:\TMP\BRU\sha1sum.exe
C:\TMP\Ditto\Ditto.Settings
C:\TMP\Intel HD4000 Graphics Driver ZIP\Installation_Readme.txt

With the files/directories found as they are, at the correct directory "depth", you could then delete from there (or even move elsewhere).

You should experiment & get a good feel for what you're seeing & how (additional) filtering affects what you're seeing...

Like if you only wanted to see files (rather then files & directories) you could change your search to: "C:\TMP\" parents:3 file:.

(In your case, I think you would actually want to set parents: to 4.)
therube

Return to How-To