Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manual - VOL II - Rev. (PDF)

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manual - VOL II - Rev. (PDF)

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:07 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BULK RENAME UTILITY OPERATIONS MANUAL - VOLUME II (REVISED)- EXPERT'S CORNER - (PDF)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the PDF:
BULK RENAME UTILITY OPERATIONS MANUAL - VOLUME II (REVISED) - EXPERT'S CORNER

Color Friendly Version:
BULK RENAME UTILITY OPERATIONS MANUAL - VOLUME II (REVISED) - EXPERT'S CORNER - COLOR FRIENDLY

by Tim Mongeon, USA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Second Book in the Series is now available. (First book here).

A Unique All-Inclusive volume that will teach you the power of the BRU Program.
There are sections for BRU, JavaScript, with a heavy emphasis on an alternative method of learning Regular Expressions, all based on the Experts of the BRU Forums - the good, the bad, and the down-right ugly.

The Navigation system includes Table of Contents, Full Bookmarks and full hyperlinked index, and of course, your PDF Reader's Search facility.

There are two editions - one is included for people who may have trouble with color and high contrast, and is labeled as, 'a11y color friendly'.

Newly released revised editions address much of the errata and other content errors.

Enjoy.

Tim Mongeon
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manual - VOLUME II (PDF)

Postby trm2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:55 pm

A few Notes

1. There will be typos. Count on it. This was a massive project and if I had three more months maybe I would have caught more of them - maybe not.
I had been over this document many times - too numerous to tell you. Each time through I would find a few more. But after a while I felt like that woman in Andromeda Strain
where the solution was before her, but her Epilepsy prevented her from seeing it.

An example... page 125, in the analysis of Example #1, step #2 should obviously be Capture Group 1 = 26, not Capture Group 2. This is not only common sense if you read
through the analysis but for every example, I provide multiple sources of information that allow you to discern the truth from fiction. If you look at the sample run photo for
example #1 on page 124, it clearly shows '26' as the value for Capture Group 1. Same for 'Where... Capture Group 1 = 26' appearing on page 125. So if something doesn't
look right, look at the other information presented and you will probably find it is a minor typo.

2. The book requires a reader that can reliably render the graphics. If you are using a reader of lesser quality, for example, in the JavaScript sections, you will notice white lines
that appear in the colored blocks of text. Readers I recommend are:

Foxit Reader -https://www.techspot.com/downloads/2713-foxit-reader.html
Downloads CLEAN version of Foxit without added adware

Javelin Reader-https://www.drumlinsecurity.com/javelindownloads.html

Nitro Pdf Reader-https://download.cnet.com/Nitro-PDF-Reader-64-bit/3000-10743_4-75206289.html

Adobe Acrobat Reader 2020 Classic -ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/
(on my system Adobe is slow in paging)

Readers not recommended:

MUPDF
SumatraPDF
SLIM PDF Reader
Haihaisoft_PDF_Reader
trm2

Postby trm2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Errata

Page 106, page 929

'So, question. If the first Alternate matched, why would it end up selecting the Third Alternate, if the RegEx Engine goes with First come, first served?

The simple explanation is that it didn't match - a least not enough to satisfy the match.

Missing completed sentence.

Will be fixed in next revision.
trm2

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:45 am

The newly released revised editions address much of the errata and other content errors.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bulk Rename Utility Operations Manual - VOL II - Rev. (PDF)

Postby SquirrelLord » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Holy Job-Well-Done Batman! I was trying to figure out how to insert numbering into the middle of a filename for Plex while keeping the episode description at the end. I haven't yet, but found your BRU manual in a Google search. I'm not surprised at all that you would produce such a work. I thought that it was really great that I know the author!

I hope that all is well with you guys. I've been retired for a while now, but I used to see Pat at the 'life now and then - when they needed extra help, I assume.

Mark S from the 'hood.
:-)
SquirrelLord

Return to How-To