Removing (Text and Brackets)

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Removing (Text and Brackets)

Postby choffman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello I'm a first time user and need your assistance. I had to use a recovery program to retrieve some photo files and all went well.
However the program added additional data in brackets. for ex ample DSC_1234 (xxxx).jpg and some DSC_1234.jpg (xxx)
Unfortunately Adobe Lightroom will not recognize the files with the additional information. I have hundreds of files in several folders with this new ( xxx ) data in and including the brackets. My questions is can I use this software to remove the brackets and the unwanted info they contain, and if so how do I set the tool up to complete the task. Thank you so much for your assistance Charlie
choffman

Re: Removing (Text and Brackets)

Postby therube » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

5:Remove -> Crop: Special ->
Code: Select all
(*)

(that's a space followed by the parenthesis & star)

Might also click the Trim box.

And in Renaming Options:
File/Folder extensions, checkmark 'Rename File Extensions As Being Part of File Name'.

That should remove the first found set of parenthesis in a filename & anything with them.

Your examples are vague & if your filenames themselves include parens, say around a date (1960), you could end up loosing that rather then these codes added by the recovery software.

See if the above will handle what you need.
therube

Re: Removing (Text and Brackets)

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 am

I think you need to give more examples of name from - > to

DSC_1234 (xxxx).jpg -> DSC_1234.jpg
DSC_1234.jpg (xxx) -> DSC_1234.jpg ? Is (xxx) in the file extension?

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Return to How-To