Running multiple jobs (100 task) as one job/task

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Running multiple jobs (100 task) as one job/task

Postby zedsefi » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:00 pm

Dear developers and power users,

My name is Zed Sefi. I have been using BRU since, god! 10 years or so maybe?

It has been always installed on my PC since the days of Windows 7/8 and now Windows 10. I have been using it very occasionally throughout the years (You know, doing simple renaming stuff that is not complicated).

But this year, actually since Sep/Oct 2020; I got involved in some personal projects that need some "advanced" renaming skills. I have to teach myself the hard way, using BRU's handy posts/forum comments and of course their detailed help sections on their Windows app. Now I know a few simple tricks such as doing regular expressions (filtering/masking), moving from a folder to another, etc... just a bunch of fancy but good stuff.

I won't make my post too long, so let me get into the main topic very quickly:

The task: Finding images in a particular folder based on the last two-digit numbers of each image file (before the .jpg extension) to be moved to another folder named "folderXX" where "XX" are the last two digits of the image name.
Example: If I have a source image named as "223344.jpg" in "C:\images\" folder, BRU would detect the last two digits "44" and move the image to a folder named "folder44" somewhere else, let's say "C:\images\BRU\folder44\".

The good news: I know how to do this, for each job (from folder00 all the way to folder99). The bad news: I need to run 100 jobs manually, to accomplish renaming/moving all of the images, which is quite daunting!

This is how I do it (for every single job):

- Assume the job wants to check images that end with "00".
- On the top address bar, I am landing on the source images folder "C:\images\".
- In Filter(12) > Mask "(.*)00.jpg(.*)" with RegEx tick box checked in.
- In Copy/Move to Location(13) > Path "C:\images\BRU\folder00\". The "Copy not Move" tick box is not checked in.

Then, for every new job, I change the number in filter/mask to next increment, as well as on the path folder (like in this example from 00 to 01, then to 02, then to 03, etc... to 99) to run the task manually for a total of 100 times.

The goal: I want my 100 jobs to be run as a one job/task. Maybe using Javascript or macro/VBA or something, so that I don't have to do this repetitive boring task 100 times each time I want to work on new images that I want to filter out.

Can you please help me? I am really thankful for any support I could get!

Best regards,
Zed Sefi
zedsefi

Re: Running multiple jobs (100 tasks) as one job/task

Postby zedsefi » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:25 pm

Hello again,

I forgot to mention: If the solution relies on using "Javascript Renaming" and that I need to have a commercial license to be using it; then I don't mind paying for this license, as long as somebody could help me building the script code for me, or teaches me on how to do it for one task then I'll replicate it to 99 more tasks within the same code.

Best regards,
Zed
zedsefi

Re: Running multiple jobs (100 task) as one job/task

Postby Luuk » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:25 am

Greetings Zed, its unfortunate that humans still cannot make better translations, so assuming this is to be desired?...
C:\YourFolder\1122334455.jpg -> C:\images\BRU\folder55\1122334455.jpg
C:\YourFolder\1122334x66.jpg -> C:\images\BRU\folder66\1122334466.jpg
C:\YourFolder\112233445x.jpg -> Not gets moved because x at the end?
C:\YourFolder\1122334xx6.jpg -> Not gets moved because only 1 digit at the end?

If to desire different, please say "Begin -> End" locations, so the translators can stop giving divergent results. If its what you need, first to put a checkmark in Renaming Options, Advanced Options, Allow using \ in Renaming Criteria. Then RegEx(1) to need settings like checkmark in "Inc.Ext." and...
Match...
Code: Select all
(.*)(\d\d)\.jpg$
Replace..
images\BRU\folder\2\\1\2

Then Copy/Move to Location(13) needs this (because "Replace" stays prejudice against ":" )
C:\

Then maybe you also like to put "Match" inside the Filters(12) so to hide the other files? If this helps you, please to consider a small donation, so they keep making better the options for free users, or maybe even commercial license because Im sure the javascript conducts all of this to be much easier.
Luuk

Postby zedsefi » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:45 am

Dear Kuuk,

What a nice solution you have. It really worked a treat! ... I am massively thankful for this precious help!

I don't even need to deal with Javascript. This solution on its own is EXACTLY what I've been looking for.

I've donated $25 to the development of this amazing software.

No need for a commercial license for now, but I'm super-happy, and if I'll ever need to do business with BRU; I'll seriously consider buying it.

Best regards,
Zed
zedsefi

Postby Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 am

Thank you zedsefi and thank you luuk for helping out BRU users on the forum! 8)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to How-To