Using Title Enhanced Case with Roman Numerals

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Using Title Enhanced Case with Roman Numerals

Postby vshanecurtis » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:50 am

Hi Guys,

I would like to do a bulk rename of my entire music collection to use Title Enhanced Case. However some of my file names contain roman numerals as part of the file name/song title. Title Enhanced Case is causing problems because it messes with the case of the roman numerals. Is there a way to tell the software Use Title Enhanced Case on the words, if there are roman numerals present make them upper case? Here's an example. You can see how the roman numerals have been messed up. I have several albums that are like this, This file name is from Rush's 2112 album.

01. 2112 I. Overture Ii. The Temples of Syrinx Iii. Discovery Iv. Presentation V. Oracle the Dream Vi. Soliloquy Vii. Grand Finale

Thanks in advance for the help
vshanecurtis

Re: Using Title Enhanced Case with Roman Numerals

Postby Luuk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 am

There is <rnup> for the exceptions.
Luuk

Postby vshanecurtis » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:37 am

Thank you for the reply. I am not that well versed with the software so I am not sure how to set up this exception. Could you please explain. There seems to be an option for handling roman numerals but it doesn't seem to work as expected.
vshanecurtis

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi, you can use <rnup> as exception see help file for all info. Make sure you are using the latest version.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Luuk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:37 pm

Luuk

Postby vshanecurtis » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:55 pm

Thank you for the further clarification. However I did want to bring something to your attention that seemed odd to me. I considered running the program with these setting against my entire collection. Fortunately I checked the preview before doing so because it produces some VERY strange results. Treating characters that are not being used as Roman Numerals as though they were. As an example it wanted to capitalize CIVIL in the song title Civil War by Guns N Roses. If <rnup> is supposed to affect only Roman Numerals then it fails. I confined the action to affect only my Progressive Rock section as this is where the Roman Numeral type file name is most common. Thank you for your assistance.
vshanecurtis

Postby Admin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:02 am

Hi, thanks for the report, I think it's an issue that needs to be fixed.
Civil is made only of roman letters C I V I L but obviously not Roman number.
I think that login in BRU needs to be improved.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby vshanecurtis » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 am

Hi,

Yes if that exception is supposed to be focused in on handling Roman Numerals then it is not working as interned. The software was picking up stuff where letters were Roman Numerals but they were not being used as Roman Numerals. There were several other examples. I think I was able to deal with the short term issue by targeting only my Progressive Rock Folder.
vshanecurtis

Postby Luuk » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:58 am

The obvious problem... What to do when 'civil' is a Roman-Numeral?
This a small list of some Roman-Numeral words and abbreviations for english users...
cid, civic, civil, cud, di, did, dim, div, dud, id, ill, li, lid, lil, livid, mi, mic, mil, mimic, mix, vi, vim, xi

Im no idea how many there can be for all languages, but ':' will grant multiple exceptions like...
<rnup>: Civil: Civic: Did: Mimic
But this means if 'did' is Roman-Numeral, it converts to 'Did' instead of 'DID'.

Im thinking it would take many thousands of people voting, to first decide on how to conduct the Roman-Numerals properly.
Maybe things like <rnup:1-2> to only conduct 1-or-2 character words as Roman-Numeral (but then what to do with id, etc)?
Myself, I would like ':' to say both 'exception' and 'word-boundary', so not needing to enter space as the leading boundary.
Luuk

Postby vshanecurtis » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:07 am

I agree it is definitely not an easy issue to resolve, tricky to be sure and it does not happen very often so that makes it harder to figure out how to deal with it correctly. It seems to happen more often in Progressive Rock. Groups like Rush Dream Theater and Queensyche. These type of bands are more likely to have concept albums where the songs all fit together to tell a story and they tend to have chapter oriented song titles. 2112 is a good example as is Scenes From A Memory. I can provide some examples if that would be helpful.
vshanecurtis

Postby Luuk » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Im thinking the best solution will let users control, because if they just change how <rnup> conducts.
There will be users who want the opposite, this why I like exceptions for being user controlled.
But the problem with exceptions is that ':' does not specify 'word-boundary'.

If anybody discovers the logic for Roman-Numeral syntax, maybe I can invent a regex to match them?
So then maybe the programmers could convert the regex-logic into how <rnup> matches its 'numbers'?
For now, I cant see the logic: It seems both viiii and ix == 9, yet neither cccclxxxxiiii or id == 499 ??

If discovering the logic, Im thinking <rnup> will be improved, but many users still want to add exceptions.
If you have many examples, I would like to see them, because it can help to discover the logic.
Luuk

Postby vshanecurtis » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:41 pm

I'll do some research on this once I'm finished reloading my PC. Seems I remember reading something about this when I was searching for a solution to my problem.
vshanecurtis

Postby vshanecurtis » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:21 am

I have been giving our discussion some thought. I have come up with a few things that may be helpful in solving this issue. Firstly, roman numerals are always CAPS. Secondly Roman Numerals never spell a word. Thirdly there IS a pattern/cycle to their progression. It's not just random sequences. The Romans were smart logical people and it is a counting system therefore it must have rules and if rules can be applied to something then code can be written to manage it. I have seen code that converts roman numerals to decimal. Maybe that code could be applied here.
vshanecurtis

Postby Luuk » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 am

I have been thinking the exact same things! The Romans were very smart, and so this should not be very difficult.
Right now, Im studying some random Roman-Numerals (that Im praying is the correct format) to discover the rules.
If I can discover all the rules, then inventing a regex will be easy, especially since a numbering system must be logical.
Luuk

Postby vshanecurtis » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:06 am

I understand some of the logic of Roman Numerals but it's difficult to put into words. Do you think the code I mentioned would be helpful? For starters here's some of the correct sequence I II II IV V VI VII VIII IX X XI XII XIII XIV XV XVI XVII XVIII XIX XX and so on. There is a pattern.
vshanecurtis

Next

Return to How-To