Location where photo was taken

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Location where photo was taken

Postby kazektom » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:55 pm

How can I extract information from EXIF so that the name of the location where a photo was taken could be added to the new file name (e.g. Toronto1.jpg)? Thanks
kazektom

Re: Location where photo was taken

Postby Luuk » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:15 pm

IF your metadata already stores names like 'Toronto', then its just discovering which metadata does store the names?
You can search by putting checkmarks inside for all of the different "Renaming Options, ID3/ExifData/FileProperties".
Then just right-click a file to "Show List of File Properties" to discover if any metadata stores these city-names?

If your metadata only stores GPS, then another tool would be needed to convert them, some links that might help...
https://geosetter.de/en/main-en/
https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=8910.msg45862

Be careful if people do recommend using curl with the Google Maps api to automate this conversion.
Its unfortunate, but Google does now charges for this, so you need a credit card for this method.
Many people do recommend using the Geosetter, but Im never used it.
Luuk

Re: Location where photo was taken

Postby therube » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Best way to say... Help | Contents | Additional Features -> Using EXIF Properties... ;-).

So in 7:Add, you could set a Prefix: <(exif:ShutterSpeedValue)> ------- which would then rename
Code: Select all
picture sample includes EXIF data 1-1-4501-img_1771.jpg
--->   0.001996 ------- picture sample includes EXIF data 1-1-4501-img_1771.jpg

Now, if "Location" is a tag, I guess that would work too, <(exif:Location)> - but I'm not really familiar, so see if something like that works.
(And, "You can show a list of all available EXIF attributes for a file by right-clicking on the file in the main file list and select 'Show EXIF info (.JPG files)' from the context menu.")

Also note that a file may contain tags that BRU is not necessarily aware of (& so wouldn't be pulled from the file for renaming purposes).
therube

Return to How-To