Rename multiple files with incremental dates

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Rename multiple files with incremental dates

Postby granteee » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:35 am

Hi there

Can anyone help?

I am about to create folders with identical Spreadsheets in them for future use. Each folder will be for months in advance and in each folder will be a cloned spreadsheet ready for filling out with daily data.

For example:
I have a folder named "November 2021", in it are 30 identical spreadsheets.

How do I rename them, in one fell swoop (Ctrl A), from Doc1, Doc2, Doc3 to 01 Nov 21, 02 Nov 21, 03 Nov 21 etc.......to 30 Nov 21?

Obviously, I'll be creating a folder for every month going forward for the next 10 years, so have a lot of renaming to do!

I hope this is EASILY doable?

Regards
granteee

Re: Multiple files incremental dates

Postby Luuk » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:54 pm

The easiest way is to probably first making the names like...
01 November 2021
02 November 2021
.. November 2021

Filters(12) would use checkmarks only inside of 'Files' and 'SubFolder', and maybe Doc* inside for the 'Mask'.
Append Folder Name(9) uses Name==Suffix, Levels==1, and Sep.=="space".

Numbering(10) uses Mode==Prefix, Pad==2, and a checkmark inside 'Folder', so then to click "Sub Dir." inside of the top file-listing!
** When having the exact same names inside all sub-folders, clicking 'Sub Dir' can glitch, and forbids the Numbering(10) 'Folder' checkmark.
** If this does happen, first remove the top checkmark for the Numbering(10) option, then just put it back again.

For the next rename, first disable Name(2), Append Folder Name(9), and Numbering(10), and use a Filters(12) 'Mask' == *
Then you could just use the RegEx(1) option, with a 'Match' and 'Replace' like...
^(\d\d )([A-Z][a-z]{2})[a-z]+ 20(\d\d)$
\1\2 \3

There are much better ways to conduct this using javascript, but Im thinking this is probably the easiest way.
Luuk

Return to How-To