Move Entire Subfolder Of Found Files To New Location

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Move Entire Subfolder Of Found Files To New Location

Postby TobiasS » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:39 pm

Hey folks. So I've been trying to figure this out using the documentation but haven't had success. My situation is as follows.

* Locate files containing "string" in their name.
* Once located, move all of those matching files to a new location but retain their parent folder.

Essentially maintain folder structure of found files, just move the folders and contents to a new location.

Literal case for anyone interested. I have a main folder of thousands of image texture files in subfolders by description. They vary in resolution from 2K, 4k, and 8k. Sadly, their folder names fail to indicate their resolution (not my doing). Fortunately, the file names do contain a string to indicate their resolution, eg. Rock_V1_4K_Color.jpg, Rock_V1_4K_Roughness.jpg, and so on.

So I'm trying to separate these bundles of images into new parent folders for 2k, 4K, and 8K. So if I find the set of Rock_V1_4K images in a folder called Rock_1, I need to move that entire folder to a new location tree that properly designates the resolution of the child files. Rock_V1 containing files with "4K" in their name now get moved to \4K_textures\Rock_1.

Hope that all makes sense. I appreciate any help on this. I have a rather large library of content to organize in this way.
TobiasS

Re: Move Entire Subfolder Of Found Files To New Location

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi, maybe try
https://viceversa.pro/
ViceVersa Pro is our software to copy files, and you can select and copy selected files. Thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Return to How-To