Possible to rename files with the one in another folder?

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Possible to rename files with the one in another folder?

Postby Anxiety » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi. I need help and want to know if this renaming feature actually possible to be done.

I have one folder that contains hundreds of files with numbered names. This is how it looks like for example, let's say it's FOLDER 1:
File001.png
File002.png
File003.png
File004.png

....and so on with hundreds more

Here are the files in FOLDER 2, sorted alphabetically, like example below:

arcade.png
asphalt.png
box.png
dolphin_blue.png

...and so on

Now, I want to rename all files in FOLDER 1 to be the same as in FOLDER 2, which the action should be like this:

File001.png RENAMED TO arcade.png
File002.png RENAMED TO asphalt.png
File003.png RENAMED TO box.png
File004.png RENAMED TO dolphin_blue.png
....and so on

Basically, files in FOLDER 1 are the same as FOLDER 2. The reason files in 1 are numbered because of animation extraction, with image sequence naming. I just want to change these numbered files name to be the same as FOLDER 2 asset names.

So, I would like to know if possible to change these hundred files of numbered names in FOLDER 1 with the non-numbered names in FOLDER 2, using Bulk Rename Utility with name/alphabetical sort?
Anxiety

Re: Possible to rename files with the one in another folder?

Postby Luuk » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:33 am

When the bru is conducting one file, it will never like to look at another filenames.
So you could either write a batch for this, or just invent a "Rename-Pairs" file to conduct the renames.
This can be possible by selecting each folder's files, then right-clicking for "Clipboard copy", and "Filename + Ext."

This grants pasting the selected names like...
File001.png
File002.png

Many users prefer pasting into a spreadsheet program, because the "Rename-Pairs" file should look like...
File001.png|arcade.png
File002.png|asphalt.png

So then after inventing the Rename-Pairs file, you can select the Folder1, and use "Actions, Import Rename-Pairs".
Luuk

Return to How-To