Rename songs from text file, is this possible?

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Rename songs from text file, is this possible?

Postby jones75 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 pm

Hello all,

New user here with what may be a unique request. I have a 500 songs that I wish to rename by using a text document. For instance, let's say I want to name them all Thanksgiving names, I would have a text document with names such as turkey, dinner, family, holiday etc. I am hoping I can have the software read the text document with say 1000 different words and name my 500 songs. It would also be great if I could have it not repeat a song name and if I could choose whether the song is named with one, two, three or four words etc. Please let me know if I can achieve this or if I will have to have something made to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
jones75

Re: Rename songs from text file, is this possible?

Postby therube » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:53 pm

The Rename Pairs feature would cut it, I'd think.
Renaming From A Text File

With Bulk Rename Utility it is possible to rename files according to a text file. The text file should contain a list of "old name" and "new name" pairs, separated by a pipe symbol ( | ) or a comma ( , ). Bulk Rename Utility will read ANSI and Unicode (UTF-16) text files.

To use this facility, create a text file in for the correct format, for example:

Track001.mp3|Headlong.mp3
Track002.mp3|Rushes.mp3
TRACK003.mp3|AnywhereIs.mp3

or use comma separated (CSV)

Track001.mp3,Headlong.mp3
Track002.mp3,Rushes.mp3
TRACK003.mp3,AnywhereIs.mp3

One entry per line.

Next, click the Import Rename-Pairs on the Actions menu and select your file. If the file is valid, then select all the files to rename and you will see the "new name" column reflecting the contents of the text file.

When comparing the current filename with the text file, the application ignores the case of the filename, e.g. it will match Track001.mp3 and TRACK001.mp3. This makes it easy to rename the files.

Click on "Rename Pairs Imported" to show the list of imported renaming pairs.

Your wanted names, you could sort, randomly, picking the first 500.

Some media players offer randomized playback, so if you simply add 500 files to their playlist, & tell it to randomize...
therube

Postby jones75 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Thank you for responding.

I think that solution would be good for one time use, but I am needing to do this every few days and if I spend time setting it up like this I could just rename manually. I need a system where I can have different word documents for different genres and each word document would contain 100,000 words where the system would automatically rename any amount of mp3's I add to it. Any idea on how this would be possible?
jones75

Postby therube » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Automate something...

BusyBox to do the sorting
various text files holding your 100,000 words; turkey.txt, halloween.txt, xmas.txt
various directories holding various types of music; /thanksgiving/, /halloween/, /xmas/

(pseudo-code)
song_randomizer.bat:

Code: Select all
Occassion_?
> turkey
busybox shuf turkey.txt > turkey_shuf.txt

How many songs to rename?_ %number%
> 99 (like 99 red balloons)
set number = %number%

head.exe  -%number%  turkey_shuf.txt  >  turkey_shuf_cut.txt
for %i  in  turkey_shuf_cut.txt
for %j  in  /thanksgiving/
do  rename  /thanksgiving/%j  /thanksgiving/%i
next i

(Oh... that's real rough code ;-).)
(head is found in coreutils-5.3.0-bin.zip & you'll also need coreutils-5.3.0-dep.zip.)
therube

Postby therube » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanksgiving names

So today, on the way to work, they're playing a random selection of "Thanksgiving" songs ;-).

89.7 FM WTMD
Playlists
Baltimore Hit Parade marathon airs Thanksgiving Day
therube

Return to How-To