Can't drag & drop files that begin with exclamation mark?

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Can't drag & drop files that begin with exclamation mark?

Postby eeeekj » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:52 am

I have a bunch of files to be renamed that begin with "!". They are scattered through various directories so they are being dragged from a Windows search. This usually works however it is not working with any files beginning with exclamation point. How can this be done?
eeeekj

Re: Can't drag & drop files that begin with exclamation mark?

Postby Luuk » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 pm

For myself, the bru never filters anything being dragged, except for what Im putting inside of the Filters(12).

Windows Search...
To present only the files beginning-with an exclamation mark, can use a search like... filename:(~<!)
To present files beginning with "!" that do also have "Match2", can use a search like... filename:(~<! *Match2*)
Before dragging, make sure that Filters(12) has nothing to filter any of the dragged files.

Bulk Rename Utility...
Inside Filters(12), first to put checkmarks in 'Files', 'Subfolders', and 'RegEx', with a 'Mask' like ^!.
Then press 'F5' or click the blue-arrows beside 'Mask' to only present files beginning with "!".
Luuk

Re: Can't drag & drop files that begin with exclamation mark?

Postby therube » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 pm

Are you running BRU "as Administrator"?
Are you (your user login) running as a "normal" user?

You cannot d&d between different user levels, like between normal & admin.

Possibly (?) there is a permissions issue too?
I.e., create a file, "!test.txt", somewhere accessible to & for all (like C:\TMP or something), & see if you can d&d that file into BRU. (No issue here in Win7.)

(Do I recall something specific to Win10, pertaining to d&d [& exclusive of !]... ?)
therube

Return to How-To