How to Rename Files in Multiple Folders to Folders Name

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

How to Rename Files in Multiple Folders to Folders Name

Postby wizzdome » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 am

Hello, This is my first time using this utility and I am not completely familiar with it yet. I originally came across it as I had a bunch of files with "(v1)" or variations of that that I wanted to remove from the file name and would have taken forever to do. This utility worked great for that. Right now I am trying to organize a bunch of rom files that are in separate folders. I have a huge list and it appears that they are all the same name for example "disk1.d64", and I would like to use the folder that contains the file to rename that. For instance folder = "180", file = "disk1.d64" I would like it to be named "180.d64" and do this for all of the folders inside of the main folder each using the the name from the containing folder. ie. folder 1= 180 folder 2=360, folder 3=720 and so on... all contain a .d64 file that I want named so that I can relocate them and still be able to know what the contents of that .d64 file are. I was hoping this utility may help me with this new project as there is like I said a ton of folders that have these. Also if it is possible there may be multiple .d64 files that would be labeled such as disk1 and disk2 and so on that if there are multiples i would like it to name as the example "180.d64" and "180(1).d64" , 180(2).d64 and so on. If this is possible a little explanation on how to do this would really help me. Thanks.
wizzdome

Re: How to Rename Files in Multiple Folders to Folders Name

Postby Luuk » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 am

There is many different ways, but probably the easiest is to conduct two separate renames like...

Rename 1:
Filters(12) should only put checkmarks inside for "Files" and "Subfolders".
To only rename .d64 files? put a "Mask" like *.d64, and then to click a main folder inside of the folder tree.

Name(2) uses "Name"==Remove
AppendFolderName(9) uses "Name"==Prefix
Numbering(10) uses "Mode"==Suffix, "Start"==0 and "Sep."==(:) and a checkmark inside of "Folder" to rename like...

Main\1stFolder\disk1.d64 ====> Main\1stFolder\1stFolder(0).d64
Main\2ndFolder\disk1.d64 ====> Main\2ndFolder\2ndFolder(0).d64
Main\2ndFolder\disk2.d64 ====> Main\2ndFolder\2ndFolder(1).d64
Main\2ndFolder\disk3.d64 ====> Main\2ndFolder\2ndFolder(2).d64

Rename 2:
First to click the "Reset" button at the bottom-right, then re-enter all of the Filter(12) settings.
Replace(3) can then use "Replace"==\end\(0) to remove the trailing (0) in all of the sub-folders.
Luuk

Re: How to Rename Files in Multiple Folders to Folders Name

Postby wizzdome » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:32 am

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I cant say it enough you saved me days of work maybe even weeks... Just wanted to point out one thing and not sure it was on your part but as I followed your instructions I ended up clicking rename without noticing that the file extension was missing, I was not sure it was because I chose start == 1 (it looked better than 0 in my opinion especially for labeling multi disk files) Was an easy fix after I moved the multi disk files to a folder specificaly for them I went into the folder and selected the filter 12 == *(1) (for all the single disk files) and used replace 3 == replace == (1) with .d64 and all was well, I also had to go into the multi folder and do the same there but with replace 3 == replace (1) with (1).d64 and then repeated same for the max disk number I had (8)... But seriously though thank you so much I understand the program so much better now.
wizzdome

Return to How-To