Can multiple Presets be 'chained' together in sequence

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Can multiple Presets be 'chained' together in sequence

Postby jarhtmd » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:24 pm

Over many years my naming conventions for my photo files have evolved. Looking back now it seems there was little if any rhyme or reason in the beginning. Gradually, I've refined, and I'm tried to standardize. Renaming the jumble of folders and files would be an impossible job w/o BRU. Although I've never used BRU presets, they seem to me to be the obvious way to go. But I need some really dumbed-down documentation explaining how to create, save, invoke, etc.

Sometimes it takes several BRU steps (each using multiple parameters) for me to get the final names that I want. It's not simply "move 1st 3 characters to end"; "replace abc with xyz"; "add a sequential number prefix"; etc. Is it possible, upon completion for "PresetA" to activate "PresetB"; "PresetB" to activate "PresetC"; etc?
jarhtmd

Re: Can multiple Presets be 'chained' together in sequence

Postby Luuk » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:13 pm

This can depend on what does mean presets? If talking about the different options to be saved inside of a .bru file ...
You can invent them by clicking inside of the menu "File, Save As" and then typing descriptive names like "PresetA".
You can conduct each one separately by then clicking "File, Open" and then choosing one of your descriptive names.

If having very many different Preset.bru files, all to be conducted in a sequence, you can create a batch like...
@echo off
"C:\Path\To\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "C:\Path\To\PresetA.bru"
"C:\Path\To\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "C:\Path\To\PresetB.bru"
"C:\Path\To\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" "C:\Path\To\PresetC.bru"

So then after clicking "Rename" you can just close the bru window, and the batch will conduct your next preset-file in order.
Some options grant many different inputs at the same time, so without needing to save them inside of different .bru files.

RegEx(1) uses a checkmark in "v2" so then (?X) can separate many different "Match" and "Replaces" like...
Match--1(?X)Match--2(?X)Match--3(?X)...
Replace1(?X)Replace2(?X)Replace3(?X)...

Replace(3) uses | to separate many different "Replace" and "Withs" like...
Replace1|Replace2|Replace3|...
With---1|With---2|With---3|...

Remove(5) can use <space> to remove many different text-strings like..
String1 String2 String3 ...

So really the best way does just depend on how many different presets is to be needed for the file names?
For myself, I do always try to save everything inside of just one .bru, and usually with many different regexs.
But if I cant conduct everything at once, Im just make a batch for the presets, or maybe use the brc.exe command-line.
Luuk

Return to How-To