Insert Exif milliseconds or sub-seconds

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Insert Exif milliseconds or sub-seconds

Postby kimakat@comcast.net » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:51 pm

I rename my jpg picture files to include the date the picture was originally taken. With my NIKON cameras now shooting up to 8 pictures per second, those 8 pictures all would have the same name if taken within the same second. Using IrfanView, I can see the fields "SubsecTime", "SubsecTimeOriginal", and "SubsecTimeDigitized", which can be used to introduce sub-seconds within the filename. With help from the support team at BRU, I found that I can use the Add (7) area and add the suffix <(exif:SubSecTimeOriginal)> to add millisecs to the name. I understand that other Exif information can be handled similary.

Older Nikon cameras apparently do not included sub-second exif but register a "Total pictures" field which increments by one for every picture taken by the camera. Absent the SubsecTime information, the "Total pictures" field could be used to at least sequence consecutive shots taken within the same second in the filename. However, I could not get BRU to read that field. Maybe BRU can work on this!

Regardless, the <(exif:SubSecTimeOriginal)> is saving me a lot of work.

Cheers to BRU.
kimakat@comcast.net

Re: Insert Exif milliseconds or sub-seconds

Postby Admin » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:59 pm

Great that BRU could help! thank you for posting here, this solution might help others too 8) :)
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Insert Exif milliseconds or sub-seconds

Postby AleSoda » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:00 pm

Sorry, how am I supposed to add the sub-seconds by inserting that? :(

AleSoda

Return to How-To