Bulk rename of extension .mobi to .epub

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Bulk rename of extension .mobi to .epub

Postby Codsy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:52 am

I have a folder named 5000 kindle books, which is sorted by author, Christian name first. This author may have many books under his name, each book having a few files under it, one being a .mobi file for emailing via amazon to a Kindle device. I have had an email from Amazon stating that after August this year, they will no longer support the mobi files and will support instead, a .epub extension. How can I bulk change the .mobi files in this directory to .epub extension in bulk without selecting the .mobi file which may be nested several filenames down, i.e. in order to select this .mobi file you have to open the directory, select the first letter of an author's name, select the author, select the appropriate book, then select the .mobi file. I hope this makes sense. I have downloaded your utility, but cannot see how to use it without selecting the actual .mobi file I need to rename the extension for. Brian Coddington
Codsy

Re: Bulk rename of extension

Postby Luuk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:53 am

Inside Filters(12), use a "Mask" like *.mobi with a checkmark inside for "Subfolders", then select any main folder in the folder-tree.
Inside Extensions(11), the drop-down should be "Fixed" with text like epub, this of course does only rename the extension.
Luuk

Re: Bulk rename of extension .mobi to .epub

Postby Codsy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:55 am

OK, so the way I understand it, I leave boxes 1-10 as they are, change 11 to fixed, change 12 to .mobi and check the subfolders box, but boxes 11 and 12 are RED, to me this means something is wrong. After I change 11 and 12, then what do I do? I'm a bunny on this software.
Codsy

Bulk rename of extension

Postby Luuk » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:30 am

Editing the colours...
If the color red is not pleasing, can use the menu "Display Options, Colours, Active Criteria" for changing to a better colour.
If not wanting any of the colours, can just remove the checkmark from "Display Options, Colours, Highlight Active Criteria"

For bulk-changing all .mobi ===> .epub in all of the subfolders...
1. Inside Filters(12), use a "Mask" like *.mobi with a checkmark inside for "Subfolders", then select any main folder in the folder-tree.
2. Inside Extensions(11), the drop-down should be "Fixed" with text like epub.
3. Select files to be renamed, or Ctrl+A to select them all, then click "Rename".
Luuk

Postby Codsy » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:13 am

I tried that and the books got renamed .mobi.epub. I tried it again with *.mobi.epb in box 12 and epub in box 11 and they came out as .mobi.epub.epub I'm lost
Codsy

Postby Luuk » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:11 am

There is only 2-ways bru will conduct like that...
1) Selecting "Extra" inside of the Extensions(11), instead of selecting "Fixed"?
2) Putting a checkmark inside of... "Renaming Options, File/Folder extensions, Rename File extensions as part of filename"?

So if you did either one of these, and created extensions like .mobi.epub or .mobi.epub.epub, then the best way to fix them is...
Put a checkmark inside the menu... "Renaming Options, File/Folder extensions, Rename File extensions as being part of filename".
Then only use the RegEx(1), with a "Match" and "Replace" like...

(.+?)(\.mobi|\.epub)+$
\1.epub

This to rename like...
file1.mobi ===========================> file1.epub
file2.mobi.mobi.mobi =================> file2.epub
file3.epub.epub.epub =================> file3.epub
file4.mobi.epub.epub =================> file4.epub
file5.mobi.epub.epub.epub.mobi.epub ===> file5.epub
file6.epub.mobi.epub.mobi.epub.mobi ===> file6.epub

Also, if making any rename mistakes, can click the menu... "Actions, Undo Rename" to restore your original names!
After the renaming is completed and verified, its best to remove the checkmark from renaming your file-extensions.
Many times after removing it, I do close the application and then relaunch it, just to make sure the checkmark is gone.
Luuk

Postby therube » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:01 pm

Changing a files extension does not change a file.

I do not know Amazon or Kindle or mobi or epub (so certainly could be wrong)...

But from what I gather Amazon will no longer "ingest" (what does that mean? to send a "book" to Amazon or some such ?) a mobi "book", but instead will require a "book" to be in epub format.

Changing the extension does not make a mobi turn into an epub.

Now, given that Amazon will no longer "ingest", does that mean that you can no longer read a mobi formatted "book" on your Kindle?

It kind of sounds like this may only apply if you are submitting a book to Amazon?
MOBI Support for Reflowable eBooks Frequently Asked Questions
(And then even that does not apply to "fixed-layout eBooks".)

Nor do I know what a "Kindle library" is.
Mobi files for Kindle – things you should know

(Again, I know nothing of this, so...)
therube

Postby Luuk » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:33 pm

@therube: Yes, this what Im mean in the first post when saying... "this of course does only rename the extension".

The bru does only rename, and never overwites the file data, so never conducting any kind of file-format conversions.
But there is many different applications online, for converting the different file-formats, if this to be needed.
Luuk

Return to How-To