Rename Files with Paths Longer than 255? (New to BRU)

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Rename Files with Paths Longer than 255? (New to BRU)

Postby camerado » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:48 am

Hi -

Downloaded Bulk Rename Utility specifically to reduce files with total paths over 255 on my Win 7 machine; amazingly, I could not find a free dedicated tool to do this, so I assume Win 10 / 11 doesn't suffer from this affliction...

Anyway, I just would like to sweep through my archive hard drive and locate (and rename) files which will have an overly long path if/when I copy them to backup, so, find and rename say 220 characters limit with root path

Kindly advise how I can do this - am simultaneously trying to figure out the manual as well and locate youtube vids, etc, but so far I'm stumped and overwhelmed by the massive interface

Thanks for any suggestions,

(PS * Are there pre-sets for BRU? I installed 'samples' when I installed the program, if there are presets pls advise too)
camerado

Re: Rename Files with Paths Longer than 255? (New to BRU)

Postby Luuk » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:19 pm

Its unfortunate, but I dont have any too-long file-path-names to experiment with, so its impossible for me to advise, but this some links that might can help...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1599#p5168
viewtopic.php?p=7460#p7460
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4886

For presets, there is the menu "File, Save As" to save all of the current setting into a .bru-file, and "File, Open" to conduct the preset files.
If somebody can say how to invent these too-long file-path-names, then maybe I can experiment with some of the suggested solutions.
Luuk

Re: Rename Files with Paths Longer than 255? (New to BRU)

Postby camerado » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:22 pm

Thanks, will take a look at those

All Best, Jason
camerado

Return to How-To