rename files in bulk from folder unique names

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

rename files in bulk from folder unique names

Postby cardinal » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:23 pm

I think is is able to be done from command line but that's a challenge for me.

brc32.exe /removename /appendfolder:P:___:1 /pattern:*.TXT /recursive /execute
*(underlines in there only to make changes more apparent.)*

My question Is this able to be done from the GUI/WYSIWIG shell? I can select all the folders en masse in a directory to perform all kinds of renaming those folders from the shell. But what I want to be able to do is select all those folders en masse and then change each file in that folder to its respective parent folders name via the shell. One would think this could be done using the "Name(2)" and "Append Folder Name (9)" functions in the shell. However I can only do this by selecting each folder individually and the renaming the file the parent folder's name. Please advise, thanks.
cardinal

Selecting folders

Postby Luuk » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:15 pm

To conduct everything below 1-folder, the Filters(12) should have a checkmark inside for "Subfolders".
To conduct only some chosen folders, these folders can be dragged from the shell, into bru's file-listing pane.

The Filters(12) should not have any checkmark inside for "Folders", unless you are wanting to rename them also?
The Numbering(10) has a checkmark for "Folders" to restart numbering per each folder, to invent unique new-names.
Luuk

Re: Selecting folders

Postby cardinal » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:30 pm

Luuk wrote:To conduct everything below 1-folder, the Filters(12) should have a checkmark inside for "Subfolders".
To conduct only some chosen folders, these folders can be dragged from the shell, into bru's file-listing pane.

The Filters(12) should not have any checkmark inside for "Folders", unless you are wanting to rename them also?
The Numbering(10) has a checkmark for "Folders" to restart numbering per each folder, to invent unique new-names.

Thank you! Your solution worked perfectly.
cardinal

Return to How-To