How to Capitalize first letter of each word (PROPER CASE)

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

How to Capitalize first letter of each word (PROPER CASE)

Postby thecubefarm » Wed May 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Per the subject, how to capitalize only the first letter of every word and do not change any other characters.

Proper case is any text that is written with each of the first letters of every word being capitalized. For example, "This Is An Example Of Proper Case." is an example of sentence in proper case.

Thanks
thecubefarm

Re: How to Capitalize first letter of each word (PROPER CASE)

Postby Admin » Thu May 11, 2023 3:33 am

Hi, did you try Case (4) -> title
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thecubefarm » Sun May 14, 2023 7:00 pm

Hi, I have searched the documentation pretty extensively and can see no reference to "case (4)" I should have mentioned this in the first message, I'm using the command line version Version 1.3.3.0 (64-bit)
thecubefarm

Postby Admin » Mon May 15, 2023 3:33 am

Hi, OK, I was referring to the BRU with Graphical User Interface.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby therube » Mon May 15, 2023 3:57 pm

If you're talking about BRC, you would use: /CHANGECASE:T
therube

Postby thecubefarm » Mon May 15, 2023 10:00 pm

Hi, that is exactly what I'm using and it lcases all text then ucases first char of each word (after space I assume) is the "logic" on how this works. It would REALLY be nice if it would leave case unchanged and only ucase first char of each word.
thecubefarm

Postby thecubefarm » Mon May 15, 2023 10:05 pm

Here is an example of what happens

c:\>br changecase:/t<enter>
Filename tHIS iS a tEST mIxEd.txt would be renamed to This Is A Test Mixed.txt
thecubefarm

Command-line: Capitalize 1st-letter of words

Postby Luuk » Tue May 16, 2023 3:01 am

The command-line would need to have many replacements with spaces for each character conversion, so something like...

brc64.exe /Prefix:" " /ReplaceCS:" a: A" /ReplaceCS:" b: B" /ReplaceCS:" c: C" /ReplaceCS:"..: ..." /CutFirstN:1
Luuk

Postby therube » Tue May 16, 2023 6:47 pm

Ah, so that's a limitation just like, Capitalize first letter of each word only?.
therube

Re: Command-line: Capitalize 1st-letter of words

Postby thecubefarm » Sat May 20, 2023 12:06 am

Luuk wrote:The command-line would need to have many replacements with spaces for each character conversion, so something like...

brc64.exe /Prefix:" " /ReplaceCS:" a: A" /ReplaceCS:" b: B" /ReplaceCS:" c: C" /ReplaceCS:"..: ..." /CutFirstN:1

Wouldn't it be WAY more efficient if the program simply capitalized the first character after a space and not touch the existing case of any letter? I really don't understand why the programmer did it this way or does not offer a switch to to leave case alone
thecubefarm

Postby thecubefarm » Sat May 20, 2023 12:09 am

therube wrote:

Ah, so that's a limitation just like, Capitalize first letter of each word only?.

Exactly like this, this person is having the same nightmare as me.
thecubefarm

Postby thecubefarm » Sat May 20, 2023 3:47 am

Luuk wrote:brc64.exe /Prefix:" " /ReplaceCS:" a: A" /ReplaceCS:" b: B" /ReplaceCS:" c: C" /ReplaceCS:"..: ..." /CutFirstN:1

Ok so that worked and for anyone who needs it, see below this post.

One interesting and unexpected thing is if you run it more than once, it does not keep chopping off the first char of the filename, I thought it would, but it doesn't don't know why. anyhow, this works.

br64.exe /PREFIX:" " /STRIPHIGH /REPLACECI:".":" " /REPLACECI:" a":" A" /REPLACECI:" b":" B" /REPLACECI:" c":" C" /REPLACECI:" d":" D" /REPLACECI:" e":" E" /REPLACECI:" f":" F" /REPLACECI:" g":" G" /REPLACECI:" h":" H" /REPLACECI:" i":" I" /REPLACECI:" j":" J" /REPLACECI:" k":" K" /REPLACECI:" l":" L" /REPLACECI:" m":" M" /REPLACECI:" n":" N" /REPLACECI:" o":" O" /REPLACECI:" p":" P" /REPLACECI:" q":" Q" /REPLACECI:" r":" R" /REPLACECI:" s":" S" /REPLACECI:" t":" T" /REPLACECI:" u":" U" /REPLACECI:" v":" V" /REPLACECI:" w":" W" /REPLACECI:" x":" X" /REPLACECI:" y":" Y" /REPLACECI:" z":" Z" /REMOVEFIRSTN:"1" /EXECUTE
thecubefarm

Command-line: Capitalize 1st-letter of words

Postby Luuk » Sat May 20, 2023 4:49 am

If everybody uses /Prefix:" " as the 1st-option, then only this leading-space gets removed.
Without it, names can lose their very 1st-character, and the leading-word cant get converted.
Luuk

Postby thecubefarm » Sat May 20, 2023 5:42 am

Luuk wrote:If everybody uses /Prefix:" " as the 1st-option, then only this leading-space gets removed.
Without it, names can lose their very 1st-character, and the leading-word cant get converted.

Hahahha, I should have caught that.

Add space, process, remove space, end
redo
add space, process, remove space, end

I'm using this as part of a .BAT file that does a whole bunch of other things. This is starting to look like a "program" in its own right, and i had to write a script to do all the typing instead of me but good eye!
thecubefarm

Postby RanaVerde » Mon May 22, 2023 3:06 am

thecubefarm wrote:Per the subject, how to capitalize only the first letter of every word and do not change any other characters.

Proper case is any text that is written with each of the first letters of every word being capitalized. For example, "This Is An Example Of Proper Case." is an example of sentence in proper case.

Thanks

Try (case4) "Title Enhansed'

You get :

To: The Flag Is Very Small

I hope this help ! :!:
RanaVerde

Next

Return to How-To