Finding and renaming similarly named files

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Finding and renaming similarly named files

Postby Steel » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:29 pm

Hello,
I have two hard drives full of subfolders, which all contain a ton of video files. As you might know, many cameras tend to use incrementing naming schemes, for example "C0001", "C0002", etc. This means each time the camera is reset or something, it goes back to the beginning. So, I have several files with the same name, and I'd like to rename them. More precisely, I'd like to get a list of all files that have the same name and extension as at least one other file, and rename them by adding something like "_a", "_b", etc. as a suffix, from the oldest to the most recent one.
Can BRU do this? If not, do you think I can achieve this with any other method? Because it would take me days to do this manually.
Thanks!
Steel

Re: Finding and renaming similarly named files

Postby therube » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:45 pm

You might see what

9:Append Folder Name
or
10:Numbering, with the 'Folder' option enabled might do for you.
therube

Find same-named file.ext

Postby Luuk » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:27 pm

When the Bulk Rename Utility is conducting one filename, it will never look at any other filename.
You can try the "Mask" inside of Filters(12), but this is to present only your similiar-named files.

I know there is an application called everything.exe that can use dupe: to look at these filenames.
It can also then sort these filenames by clicking onto date-headers, just like the bru's file-listing.
I guess you might be able to use it to invent a rename-pairs file?

But if the camera gets randomly reset, why to _suffix any similiar-names that wont be related??
Luuk

Return to How-To