Rename Files with Parent Directory + Last 2 or 3 of filename

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Rename Files with Parent Directory + Last 2 or 3 of filename

Postby pguillot69 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:44 pm

Here's the problem ....

Parent Filename - PGuillot69
Filenames in Parent directory multiple filenames ending with 01 02 03 etc etc
Want to replace Filename with Parent Filename but keep the endings like 01 02 03
I have gotten to a point of following a simple procedure but it is time consuming.

I highlight the parent filename AND cTRL-c
I highlight all filenames with ctrl - a
I Ctrl - V the parent filename into the prefix
I select remove all of the filename.
I set the indexer to append a number with a padded number
I also insert a P prior to the acending number.

You would think that would work all the time but for some reason it does not. I have had files renamed with the wrong number because of maybe a glitch in the way the files are pulled up or what. I don't know but it gets frustrating.

I am not good at Javascript anymore as I have some form of Dementia. I can do repetative tasks but I do make mistakes.

Here is what I need.

Copy Parent Filename to Clipboard
Sort all subdirectory files by acending using suffix numbers of filename such as Recording001
Replace Subdirectory file with Parent Filename + P + Last Numbers.

This would allow you to Rename all Files in a Directory with the Parent Directory and KEEP that all important Numbers on the end. I arrange a large set of recording from security devices. I spend a lot of time ensuring all timestamps and sequences are kept intact. One recording removed from a timeline is bad. Not to mention, can cause more trouble thatn I want.
I found your program a God Send, as many people want to save there recordings under seperate filenames. Smartphones, Computers, Security cameras, and IOT devices all use different schemes and sometimes can get confusing.
A missing filename from the sequence is just as bad as being out of sequence.

This feature would work with a lot of servers in that it makes the log file archiving a much simpler task than adding to an ever growing Zip File.
Security Cameras would be able to replace the Filename with Parent Filename - Front Door - Angle 01 - 06/14/2023 P01
IOT Devices like Rumba would be able to log their log files with Parent Filename - Bedroom - Random Competed.

There many ways to use the Parent Filename > Subdirectory Filename > Filename + P + Checked Number.

I hope I have explained it enough to get the idea across.
pguillot69

Re: Rename Files with Parent Directory + Last 2 or 3 of filename

Postby pguillot69 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:58 pm

Please Disregard the time rambling.
I found my answer in the help section using Feature Append Folder Name (9) and Remove (5)
The only thing I have to do now is verify all sequences is there.
Sorry for the dumb post.
pguillot69

Return to How-To