Files with same names after rename - Prevent Duplicates

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Files with same names after rename - Prevent Duplicates

Postby Khankhra » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:07 pm

Hi!
Help me, please. I look at "Operations Manual" and try search in forum, but don't find answer, because my English not so good.

I rename with "Auto Date (8)" [YMD] and the app don't rename some files, because they were created in same day and, of course, have same name. I don't want use "hours" and "minutes".
Can I get files like "2022.06.23_1", "2022.06.23_2"...."2022.06.23_99".

Now app does not rename and does not add this extra "..._1"
Thank you very much!
Khankhra

Re: Files with same names after rename

Postby therube » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:55 pm

Renaming Options | Prevent Duplicates

Prevent Duplicates Format

When enabled, the Prevent Duplicates option allows to you to overcome the situation whereby a rename would fail because a file with the same name already exists: if you try to rename a file, and there's already a file with the same name, the software will make a subsequent attempt to rename the file but with a "_1" suffix. If this fails, it will try with "_2" as the suffix, and will continue up to "_99". The limit of 99, and the separator character underscore (_) are used by default.

You can change the default format that is used to prevent duplicates.

To change the format, enable the option Prevent Duplicates in the Renaming Menu. A message will be shown that the option is now enabled, and clicking on "Change Format" will open a further dialog where you can specify the format string.

Supported tags:

%name%
This tag identifies the file name that is duplicate (without extension)

%count%
This tag identifies a simple numeric counter with no padding: 1, 2, 3, ...

%count00%
This tag identifies a numeric counter padded with zeroes to 2 digits: 01, 02, 03, ...

%count000%
This tag identifies a numeric counter padded with zeroes to 3 digits: 001, 002, 003, ...

%count0000%
This tag identifies a numeric counter padded with zeroes to 4 digits: 0001, 0002, 0003, ...

%counta%
This tag identifies an alphabetic counter: a, b, c, d, ...

%countA%
This tag identifies a capitalized alphabetic counter: A, B, C, D, ...

Examples:

· The default format in Bulk Rename Utility is: %name%_%count% - Suffix is added to prevent duplicates: _1, _2, _3, ....
· To change the separator to be a # use: %name%#%count% - Suffix is added to prevent duplicates, #1,#2, #3, ....
· The Windows File Explorer uses the following format: Copy (%count%) of %name% - e.g. a prefix is added: Copy (1) of, Copy (2) of, ...
· You can use padded numbers: %name%_%count00% - Suffix is added to prevent duplicates: _01, _02, _03, _10, ... _99
· You can use a prefix instead: %count00%%name% - Prefix is added to prevent duplicates: 01, 02, 03, _10, ... 99
· You can use an alphabetic counter: %name%%counta% - Suffix is added to prevent duplicates: a, b, c, d, ... z
· You can use a capitalized alphabetic counter: %name%%countA% - Suffix is added to prevent duplicates: A, B, C, D, ... Z
therube

Return to How-To