Track title vs. filename

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Track title vs. filename

Postby Audiose » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:07 am

The track title is not available for modifying. "Name" is the filename, but there is no track title. I feel a bit goofy asking about this since I haven't found anything related to track titles in the manual or this forum, so perhaps I should already know why the so-called track "title" isn't available like it is in other attribute software. I may be missing something obvious. I would like to configure track titles as can be done with the filename. Many thanks.
Audiose

Re: Track title vs. filename

Postby therube » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Help.

Using Windows File Properties to Rename Files

With Bulk Rename Utility you can read and use the Windows File Properties to rename your files. More information on the Windows Property System that can be set on Windows files can be found here:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/properties/props

Windows File Properties are only available on Windows Vista or newer.

*** To enable Windows File Properties tags support in Bulk Rename Utility, activate the option 'Extract Windows File Properties' from the Renaming menu.

To show a list of all available file properties, for a file or a file type, in Bulk Rename Utility, right-click on a file in the main file list and select 'Show List of File Properties' from the popup context menu. See image below.

Alternatively, you can also see the file properties of a file in Windows Explorer: right-click on a file and select "Properties" and then "Details".

Each file property has three entries: a LABEL, a VALUE and a NAME. You can select a file property by LABEL or by NAME and then use its VALUE to rename a file.

Using File Properties in Add (7)

You can use the file properties in Add(7) as tags. To enable Windows File Properties tags support in Bulk Rename Utility, activate the option 'Extract Windows File Properties' from the Renaming menu.
To use a file property, specify the file property like this: <(propertylabel)> or <(propertyname)>. The tag will be replaced by the property value for that property.

For instance :
Prefix : <(System.Photo.CameraManufacturer)> might add "OLYMPUS" as a prefix.
Suffix : <(System.Image.HorizontalSize)> might add "3648 pixels" as a suffix.
Prefix : <(Title)> might add the file title as a prefix.

The file properties can be referred to by Label or Name. They can be used in Add(7) -> Prefix, Suffix, Insert.

IMPORTANT: You can also specify some extra characters in the property < > tag. For instance, "<(Subject) - >" will add the Subject and the - , but only if the subject is not empty. If (Subject) is empty, the whole tag < > will be empty. This is different from using "<(subject)> -". In this case - will always be added even if the file does not have a subject.

File Properties as Dates and Numbers

If you want to add a file property to a file name as a date or as a number, use the property formatting markers.

# will format a property as a number. If a file property value has numbers and letters, the letters will be ignored.
$ will format a property as a date, according to the date and time formatting options as specified in Auto-Date (8).

For instance :
Prefix : <($System.Photo.DateTaken) - > will add the date taken as prefix followed by - , formatted according to values in Auto-Date (8).
Suffix : < - (#ISO speed)> might add " - 100" as suffix. The file property is added as number only.
Suffix : < - (ISO speed)> might add " - ISO100" as suffix. The file property is added as a text string.

Clipboard
A special tag is <clip> which is replaced by the current text content of the Windows Clipboard.
therube

Re: Track title vs. filename

Postby Audiose » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:51 pm

Thanks for your quick and thorough reply. I got as far as enabling 'Extract Windows File Properties' but everything else was confusing to me. Try as I might, I was unable to follow through with all the other suggestions. I apologize for my thickness, but thanks very much for your effort here.
Audiose

Return to How-To