BRU used to start with Selected Files selected

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

BRU used to start with Selected Files selected

Postby Zavod » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:30 pm

Installing BRU on a new Windows 11 machine.

Previous behavour: (Win10) was that if I selected a bunch of files in Windows Explorer, and then right-clicked and chose "Bulk Rename Here" then those files would show up as selected in BRU. (good)

New behavour: (Win11) when BRU starts, those selected-in-Explorer files DON'T show up as selected in BRU. (annoying)

I think I've gone through all the Menu options and can't find what I'm missing...
Any ideas? Thanks!
Zavod

Re: BRU used to start with Selected Files selected

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 am

Hi, in which folder path are these selected files?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Zavod » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:16 pm

It's been a couple of weeks since installation of BRU on my new computer when I noticed your reply to my post...

So I went to my usual work directory and tested selecting a bunch of files in Windows Explorer to test this problem, and it worked fine!

I then tried a number of different folders to see if I could reproduce the problem and it never reproduced!
C:\dnload (my typical work dir)
C:\Windows\System32 (an OS dir)
My Documents (in the mystical location Microsoft stores it)
L:\delme_raw_images\LegoSaturnV_Assembly (a backup drive moved from the previous computer)

All these worked fine.
So I don't know why it failed to work on initial install? My only guess (at this point, 2+ weeks later) is that maybe I hadn't rebooted after installing?
Zavod

Postby therube » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:34 pm

Note that there is a setting that affects auto-select:

- List -> Auto-Select All Items After Listing a Folder

Also note that "listing a folder" (from within BRU) is different from dragging&dropping files into BRU (which does not auto-select, regardless of the above setting).
therube

Return to How-To