Creating folders based on filename

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Creating folders based on filename

Postby screwlogins » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:45 pm

Hey,
So I've got a bunch of shows in a folder that follow this format: (this show 1, this show 2, another show 1, another show 2, another show 3). I've followed the post here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5527 ; except whenever I try to rename it says : "Item '[filepath]' could not be renamed. Error: The system cannot find the path specified.". I don't know what I'm doing wrong, here are my settings for doing it (I've enabled the usage of \ in the settings): Image
screwlogins

Re: Creating folders based on filename

Postby screwlogins » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:07 pm

Another thing I'd like to clarify, if a file only has a name in it (think "this show" instead of "this show 1"), it works, but anything that has a space and a number at the end throws the above error. I'm not familiar with regex so I've got no clue how to do this.
screwlogins

Re: Creating folders based on filename

Postby Admin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:28 am

Hi, did you enable the option
Advanced Options > Allow Using '\' in Renaming Criteria for Creation of New Folders (Advanced Option) ?
Admin
Site Admin

Windows removes trailing space in folder-names

Postby Luuk » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:40 am

Its because (Group1) matches the space, so then telling BRU to invent folder-names ending with a space.
But Windows forbids this and removes the space, so then BRU cant find the folder-path for moving!
Could always include Replace(3) to covert " \" --> "\" to fix the folder-names (before Windows).

There's also a glitch folderizing with RegEx(1)... http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5611
But if all your filenames is like the examples, then its probably not to matter.
Luuk

Return to How-To