Can I remove UNICODE from a bunch of file names?

Bulk Rename Utility How-To's

Can I remove UNICODE from a bunch of file names?

Postby renamingFILES » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

I've used BRU for a couple decades, and I remember asking about this a few years ago.

UNICODE was once a small problem that just became a larger problem, as I seem to have a bunch of file names with UNICODE embedded. My old fix was to copy affected text into Notepad, save the file, load the file, and copy the contents back to the file name. That old fix does not seem to work under Windows 10. I think 10 allows UNICODE in file names. Ugh.

Please tell me BRU has a way to strip UNICODE from file names, and that I don't have to be a script programmer to do it . . . .

Thanks for any help you have to give!
renamingFILES

Re: Can I remove UNICODE from a bunch of file names?

Postby renamingFILES » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:21 am

Where is v2?
renamingFILES

Postby renamingFILES » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:23 am

Oh, nevermind. It's under RegEx (1), at the top left. I've never used that section before.
renamingFILES

Postby renamingFILES » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:30 am

I've saved those various posts as a TXT file, that I can refer to it into the future.

[^\x20-\x7F]+/g

I assume I am looking at a hexadecimal numeric range. Maybe between 32 and 127 decimal? My guess is that this argument points to characters outside that range. What is the +/g part for?

Would the average user benefit from learning these types of arguments or commands?
renamingFILES

Return to How-To