Sorting by "Date TAKEN"

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Sorting by "Date TAKEN"

Postby another_user » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello, you have an amazing software program, and generously make it available... Thank you!

The only weakness I found, for my purposes, is that it doesn't appear that you can sort the files by the "Date TAKEN" field.

Here's why "Date TAKEN" is useful:

In my photo shoots, I use 2 or more cameras. Each camera has its own file numbering system. Photos get uploaded to the computer at random times during the shoot (hence the "Date Created" doesn't keep the order in which pictures from different cameras were taken.)

At post-production time, we need to number the pictures in the order taken -- across all cameras. As I said, the "Date Created" is of no help. What's needed is the ability to sort by "Date TAKEN".

Thanks!
another_user

Re: Sorting by exif "Date TAKEN"

Postby Stefan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Sure you can sort by "Date TAKEN".

You can click on the header of the "Taken (original)" column. Click twice to sort upside down.
(first enable menu "Options > Extract... Exif")

At least with my (german) regional settings dd.mm.yyyy. hh:mm:ss it works.

YYYY.MM.DD will also work.
But MM/DD/YYYY will not work obviously.
You have first to go to your windows regional settings dialog and change the format global for your pc.

In which format is your date? Please post an example and also your current regional setting (or language/country only) so i see what happens.

But you can also use an little trick like this:

1.) enable extract exif via option menu
2.) browse to your files till you see them in BRU
3.) select one or a few or all (Ctrl+A) files to see what happens in the "New Name"-column
4.)set up AutoDate(8)[X]
Mode: Prefix
Type: Taken
Fmt: YMD HMS
Sep: just an space or two, or nothing
tick [X]Cent. if you need to sort for century too
5.) click on the header of the "New Name" column to sort by Taken date. Click another time to sort the other way.

Your files are sorted as wanted by exif date taken

6.) un-tick AutoDate(8)[ ]
7.) do your own work. (do NOT click on an column header, or you have to go to 4. again)

HTH? :D

another_user wrote:Hello, you have an amazing software program, and generously make it available... Thank you!

The only weakness I found, for my purposes, is that it doesn't appear that you can sort the files by the "Date TAKEN" field.

Here's why "Date TAKEN" is useful:

In my photo shoots, I use 2 or more cameras. Each camera has its own file numbering system. Photos get uploaded to the computer at random times during the shoot (hence the "Date Created" doesn't keep the order in which pictures from different cameras were taken.)

At post-production time, we need to number the pictures in the order taken -- across all cameras. As I said, the "Date Created" is of no help. What's needed is the ability to sort by "Date TAKEN".

Thanks!
Stefan

Re: Sorting by "Date TAKEN"

Postby theMezz » Sat May 11, 2013 5:05 pm

awesome

thank you for this
theMezz

Return to Suggestions