Toolbar, re-arrangeable column order, thumbnails

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Toolbar, re-arrangeable column order, thumbnails

Postby KHL » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:19 am

Hi Jim,

first please let me thank you for this phantastic utility.
I've NEVER seen any other that features so much different functions all together in one small utility.

If you remember, I'm the guy who suggested the individual Reset-buttons as well as the count-up/-down buttons for insertions/deletions etc., one year ago. They are of great help for anyone, I guess...
But what do the ticks just beside the Reset-buttons do? What happens, if they are set/removed?

What I want to ask for today are the following:

Is it possible to add a toolbar that features some of the mostly used functions, such as "Jump to Path" etc.

May the columns be capable for re-arrangements? I use the columns "Name", "New Name", "Modified", and "Length" only, and would like to move them to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place from the left.

May the line heights be changed by entering a numeric value for the text size, like Excel does? If I chose a text size of 30, then Excel automatically changes the line height to fit to the larger text.

And if this is possible, is there any chance to create a new column with a thumbnail preview of the pictures within the selected folder? That was really helpful for me, as I have thousands of photographs taken with my digital camera that need to be renamed, and I always have to switch to my picture viewer to recognize what pix to select for renaming.

Thanks for taking these questions into consideration.

See ya!

Karl
KHL

Postby Admin » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi Karl,

But what do the ticks just beside the Reset-buttons do? What happens, if they are set/removed?

These allow you quickly enable or disable a group. So if you are normally appending an auto-number but you want to suppress it, you just clear the tickbox to disable that group.

Is it possible to add a toolbar that features some of the mostly used functions, such as "Jump to Path" etc.

The trouble with a toolbar is that it takes up valuable screen-space.

May the columns be capable for re-arrangements? I use the columns "Name", "New Name", "Modified", and "Length" only, and would like to move them to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place from the left.

You can always just shrink all the other columns to zero-width. One day I will add a reorder-facility, but it's not straightforward to do.

May the line heights be changed by entering a numeric value for the text size, like Excel does? If I chose a text size of 30, then Excel automatically changes the line height to fit to the larger text.

The line heights are fixed. It would be easy to change though, so I will look at adding this feature.

And if this is possible, is there any chance to create a new column with a thumbnail preview of the pictures within the selected folder? That was really helpful for me, as I have thousands of photographs taken with my digital camera that need to be renamed, and I always have to switch to my picture viewer to recognize what pix to select for renaming.

It's on the wishlist. Again it's not easy to do, but it would be useful. I will to to find a way to do this.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi Jim,

I'd like to refresh some requests I've asked for 1½ years ago, sorry...

A: You can always just shrink all the other columns to zero-width. One day I will add a reorder-facility, but it's not straightforward to do.

A: The line heights are fixed. It would be easy to change though, so I will look at adding this feature.

A: It's on the wishlist. Again it's not easy to do, but it would be useful. I will try to find a way to do this.

So far the quotes.
I know that especially the last request has partly been solved with introduction of your picture viewer, but it does show the actually selected picture only, rather than previews of all pix within a separate column. It also hides some of the screen area when activated.
If not possible, what about a zoom-/shrink-button for the picture viewer or an option to start the viewer with pre-defined zoom-factor?

Any chance to realize these in one of the next releases?

Thanks in advance and have a good weekend.

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi,

Quote:

A: You can always just shrink all the other columns to zero-width. One day I will add a reorder-facility, but it's not straightforward to do.

I have tried to do this but it has proved messy to do. As such I do not think this will be implemented. Sorry.

Quote:

A: The line heights are fixed. It would be easy to change though, so I will look at adding this feature.

This is something else which I thought would be straightforward but it is not. The utility will display text in a nominated font and size, and it uses the "default GUI font" for the display.

Don't forget that BRU is nothing like Excel, it is closer to Explorer - and it has no such facility for altering line height.

I know that especially the last request has partly been solved with introduction of your picture viewer, but it does show the actually selected picture only, rather than previews of all pix within a separate column. It also hides some of the screen area when activated.
If not possible, what about a zoom-/shrink-button for the picture viewer or an option to start the viewer with pre-defined zoom-factor?

The picture viewer is already resizable, and it already restarts with the same size that you last set it?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Picture Viewer

Postby KHL » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Jim,

thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, so I'll need to drag the non-used columns' widths manually to zero.
No problem.

And yes, the viewer starts with the latest zoom factor. Nevertheless it doesn't support proportional scaling, when dragged with the mouse.

Please don't misunderstand me. Your tool is definitely the BEST renaming utility I've ever seen! And - BEST for us users - it's free, w/o any hidden charges etc...
But it would be very helpful for picture collectors like me to see previews of their pix in an own column to let them use the drag'n/drop-feature efficiently.
For my own purpose, I shoot lots of pictures any time I am on vacation and afterwards I lose my marbles when trying to rename them to sufficient filenames.

If it's not easy or even not possible to implement this feature, then it will - of course - be okay for me and for all others, too.

Thanks again.

Karl
KHL

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi Karl,

It's actually very difficult to do this. The strength of BRU is in seeing the current name and the new name side by side. If I show the files in "thumbnail" view then it's not possible to display two text fields, only one. Then BRU would become unworkable, as you would lose a lot of information.

I would love to be able to implement this, but I just cannot seem to find a suitable way to do it.

Nevertheless it doesn't support proportional scaling, when dragged with the mouse.

Can you clarify what you mean? I'm sure this is something that could be implemented, once I understand exactly what you're looking for. Do you mean so that you increase the width, and the height automatically increases with it?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Picture viewer with proportional scaling

Postby KHL » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:40 pm

Jipp.

You hit the nail at its top, as we say in Germany...

The height/width-ratio should always be the same. Actually you can "morph" pix incredibly while dragging at the wrong end.

Karl
KHL

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:41 pm

Ok, I'll have a look to see if this can be implemented.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Beta 2.4.0.1

Postby KHL » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Jim,

could you please tell me what new feature(s) have been implemented in the latest Beta?

Is it related to my last request?

Thx
Karl-Heinz
KHL

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:30 pm

No, the beta doesn't cover any of your issues. Please check the changelog on the website for details of the beta.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:35 pm

I have now added the facility to reorder columns. Beta on website.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Copy ALL visible file data to the clipboard

Postby KHL » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Great function, THX!!! :lol: :lol:

Just another suggestion:

I failed just a few minutes ago while trying to create a list of a specific folder's content (some 400+ files), incl. all available data, such as filename, size, dimensions, creation date/time, etc.
I then remembered BRU's great option to copy path/filename etc. to the clipboard, but unfortunately there is no option to include other data of the selected files, too.

Q: Any chance to add this feature to BRU's context menu? Perhaps this could be reduced to those data shown in the actually visible columns (just in case one does not need EXIFs etc.?

Thx in advance.

By the way: Your latest changelog does not show the correct date of Beta 2.4.0.2. :wink:

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Return to Suggestions