Renumbering starting with no number

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Renumbering starting with no number

Postby Bad One » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:55 am

Hi, I need a way to renumber files, in such a way that the new filenames start with the first file without any number and then the rest of the files being numbered sequentially starting from 1.

Explanation: In Media Browser, (In Windows Media Center, Windows 7), backdrops must be named "backdrop, backdrop1, backdrop2, backdrop3...and so on. The first file needs to be without a number and then the rest sequentially starting from 1. Unfortunately, the closest I can come with BRU is to use the option to start with 0, then go back and rename the first file removing the 0.
Bad One

Re: Renumbering starting with no number

Postby Stefan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 am

Bad One wrote:Hi, I need a way to renumber files,
in such a way that the new filenames start with the first file without any number
and then the rest of the files being numbered sequentially starting from 1.

Explanation: In Media Browser, (In Windows Media Center, Windows 7),
backdrops must be named "backdrop, backdrop1, backdrop2, backdrop3...and so on.
The first file needs to be without a number and then the rest sequentially starting from 1.
Unfortunately, the closest I can come with BRU is to use the option to start with 0,
then go back and rename the first file removing the 0.

Tip: Only selected files are gonna be renamed.

IOW, just do not select the first file but from second and up.
It is the same as in windows explorer:
CTRL+A to select all.
Hold CTRL and left click to select or un-select one.
Hold Shift and left click to select or un-select many.

Then use Numbering(10); Mode:Suffix; Start:1;Pad:0;INcr:1;

Stefan

Postby Bad One » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. Problem is that is even more work. Since the files do not all have the name "backdrop" by default, I would have to then go back and rename the file that was left out of the list to "backdrop". It is easier to rename all of them with the same root name, ie "backdrop" and then go back and take out the zero. What I am looking for is way to rename all the files with the same root name, starting with no number and then have the rest numbered starting from 1. Right now ACDsee does just as good a job as BRU for renaming jpg's but it also starts from zero, meaning I have to go back.

More explanation: The movie backdrops I make are jpg's automatically generated using DVDSoft Video to JPEG Converter. It by default, names each jpg the same as the movie title (also numbering them). So for these files to work with Media Browser in Windows 7 they must all be completely renamed to "backdrop".

It would be nice if BRU had an option to start with no number, then from there number the rest, with all the files (including the first file) having the same root name.
Bad One

Postby Bad One » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:12 am

SOLVED:
Media Center Master is a free program that does what I need.
BRU is still pretty cool and I'm glad I found it. Will keep it around too.
Bad One

Return to Suggestions