Quick text buttons to speed configurable names

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Quick text buttons to speed configurable names

Postby Toyzrme1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Very interesting tool - I think it is exactly what I need for renaming fmily photos. I just need to spend time with it to learn its full power.

One suggestion: add configurable buttons that insert user-specified words/names when clicked.
For example: I have 2 kids, a wife, and a dog - so I often want to tag my files with their names. We have lived at 2 addresses - so I often include those as a location. If you gave me a row of buttons along the bottom (or a couple/few rows), let me configure what text they have (Amy, Bob, Charlie, Dan); (1 Main St, 2 Whatnot St.), and specify where the text goes (ie what step to insert them) - and even provide shortcut keys for at least some of them, it would be amazingly quick to tag subgroups of photos.

IOW, the overall naming pattern would remain constant (ie date in YYYMMDD-Seq#, etc.), but I could select 10 files, click a few buttons according to who/where is in the group of pictures, and rename them. Then on to the next subgroup.

Good stuff!
Toyzrme1

Re: Quick text buttons to speed configurable names

Postby Stefan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi Toy,

inserting stored pattern should better be a system wide solution, hence you should better use another tool to provide this feature.

You could e.g. utilize TyperTask from http://www.vtaskstudio.com/support.php

Just configure it like:
,,a=Amy
,,b=Bob
,,c=Charlie
,,c=Dan
,,1=1 Main St.
,,2=2 Whatnot St.

and then you can type ,,b and that become automatically exchanged by 'Bob'.

There are many such text tools on the internet.
Stefan

Return to Suggestions