What do you think - renaming via an intermediate file

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

What do you think - renaming via an intermediate file

Postby Admin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:21 am

I'm looking for your thoughts. At the moment BRU renames immediately,

e.g. A >>> B.

What are your thoughts on renaming via an intermediate file
e.g. A >>>>_tmp001.tmp >>>>B.

The single advantage to this is that it would overcome one of the naming conflicts which occurs. If you have files

1.txt
2.txt
3.txt

and you want to insert a file into the list at position 2, you would want to change 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. But the first rename would fail, as 3.txt already exists.

Renaming via an intermediate file would overcome this, as the entire rename operation would be performed twice, once to the temporary names and then once to the real names.

It will be complicated to implement, especially to handle a situation where a different conflict occurs and we have to roll back. Also, if the program were to crash then the user might eb left with a load of unrecognisable names.

Comments please.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 am

This would probably match my request.

I'd suggest to implement this into one of the next BETA versions and maybe start the program with a special warning box that the new feature "rename via intermediate file" should be applied to test files only, due to the risk of possible crashes and loss of data.

But thanks anyway for your headaches over my problem.

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Return to Suggestions