Auto Date Fractions of Second

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Auto Date Fractions of Second

Postby jarhtmd » Sun May 20, 2007 2:08 am

It would be extremely helpful for me if fractions of seconds could be a choice for formatting Auto Date (Taken Date - YMD HMS.ss). I often use "auto exposure bracketing" with 2 different cameras used inter-changeably on the same photo shoot. Later I merge the groups of images & assign sequence numbers based on the time stamps. At fast shutter speeds, multiple shots can be taken within a second.
jarhtmd

Postby Admin » Sun May 20, 2007 10:19 am

This has already been covered. Fraction of a date is not available in EXIF timestamps; the lowest unit of resolution is one second.

Unless anyone can advise me otherwise?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jarhtmd » Mon May 21, 2007 1:56 am

I think made my request without thinking out the problem thoroughly. I should be able to follow the "taken" date-time stamp with a sequence #. My need is to keep the images in order taken & a sequence within a second will accomplish that. The actual time fraction won't be needed. Actually, I eventually delete the time stamp from the name anyway.

Thanks for your prompt reply & for a GREAT utility.
jarhtmd

Duplicate Renaming

Postby dominicb » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Jim, great utility - works a treat!

Two things I've noted -
Feature - it would be great to be able to specify where to put the duplicate counter - like jarhtmd, I'm taking pictures with multiple cameras, some of which can take multiple frames /second.
I want to use the file name format "2007 10 07 - 0949 53 GMT_f2.8 200 70mm.jpg", but I don't want the duplicate counter (_1 etc.) to insert at the end i.e. "2007 10 07 - 0949 53 GMT_f2.8 200 70mm_1.jpg" but rather here "2007 10 07 - 0949 53_1 GMT_f2.8 200 70mm.jpg". I can do this, by running the BRU twice (date stamp first, then GMT Exif), but this is a little clumsy and I'm all for making things slick! :D

Not sure how you could do it (as you say interface is a tad busy) - how 'bout adding an additional option to the numbering field "Mode" (they're mutually exclusive) - if selected the sequential numbering only kicks in if there's a duplicate filename, following the switches set??

Bug - if the exposure is >1 second, it reads as 0... not sure how you go about showing 1/5 vs 5 secs - maybe return 5s when >1sec?

Anyway - great utility - be great if you can help out above :lol:

Cheers

Dom
dominicb

Re:

Postby jthomps » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:38 am

Admin wrote:This has already been covered. Fraction of a date is not available in EXIF timestamps; the lowest unit of resolution is one second.

Unless anyone can advise me otherwise?

Hi Jim, I'm a Canon 40D user. My Cannon 40D, as well as many of the newer Canon cameras, provide sub second values for photos that are taken in continuous shooting mode. I believe the higher end Nikon cameras do as well, but I'm not 100% sure about Nikon or other camera manufacturers.

I've written a simple (compared to yours!) program that can rename my photos based on the sub-second EXIF data using the exiv2 EXIF library. Here's a link to the EXIF documentation:

http://www.exiv2.org/tags.html

There are three EXIF tags that contain the sub-second data: Exif.Photo.SubSecTime, Exif.Photo.SubSecTimeOriginal, and Exif.Photo.SubSecTimeDigitized. If you are currently using the Exif.Photo.DateTimeOriginal from EXIF data, then obviously the related sub-second timing tag would be Exif.Photo.SubSecTimeOriginal, etc.

It would be great if you could include a custom variable that makes this available in the custom date/time format. If the sub-second EXIF tag is not found, you could provide with a default of "00", etc.

FYI, my preferred naming of my digital photos is: YYYYMMDD_hhmmsstt, where "tt" is the milliseconds. I do have many older photos that will not contain the sub-second EXIF tags, so perhaps you could handle duplicates by bumping the new variable from 00 to 99 like you handle duplicates currently.

If you're willing to review and possibly implement, I'm happy to send you some images to test with that have the above EXIF fields populated.

Thanks,

Jeff
jthomps

Return to Suggestions