Very much wanted - extraction of IPTC ObjectName data

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Very much wanted - extraction of IPTC ObjectName data

Postby Philip Goddard » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm building up a photo collection for selling on a new website I'm just setting up, and I want my photos' filenames to be created with the photo title (ObjectName field of the IPTC data), EXIF 'taken' date and an incrementing number (for groups of files). BRU does all I want, except getting the photo title, and at the moment the only way I can get round this is first to have my metadata editor (Abander's PhotosControl) rename the files with their title (as it does work with IPTC data), but unfortunately that program doesn't directly support specifying incrementing serial numbering and makes a mess of things by putting "_copy_nnn" (where nnn is an incrementing number) after the intended data if a group is being renamed to otherwise the same names - so I'd still have to use BRU to clear up the mess that PhotosControl has made.

It would thus be much less hassle for me if I could have BRU put my IPTC ObjectName data in the new filenames, and then I could use a single batch process with BRU to change all my photo filenames to the format that I want.

Kind regards,
Philip
http://www.philipgoddard.com
Philip Goddard

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:31 am

Unfortunately IPTC is quite a tricky set of data to manipulate, and I don't currently have the time to develop the functionality. There are third-party utilities available (.DLL files) which I could use to help me, but none of them are free! As BRU itself is free I can't justify purchasing them.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Very much wanted - extraction of IPTC ObjectName data

Postby Philip Goddard » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 am

There, I'd forgotten I'd posted this topic! For the record, let's update on how I dealt with this issue.

I eventually found that I got the requisite functionality in the batch rename function of XnView - so all's well that ends well. I still have one particular task that BRU does brilliantly for me, and that's a rename of my newly downloaded website logfiles, once extracted from the .gz archives, to [filename].log .

So, I am still finding BRU very useful, and I don't need it to do file renames using IPTC metadata.

Kind regards,

Philip
Philip Goddard

Return to Suggestions