Numbering(10) - Renumbering an existing Sequence Number

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Numbering(10) - Renumbering an existing Sequence Number

Postby glaprise » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:16 am

It would be nice if you could renumber an existing sequence number in addition to inserting a new one.

You could add radio buttons, to the Numbering(10) section, so that we could chose between Adding a sequence number or renumbering an existing one. The same input fields would be use to locate an existing sequence number and position a new one.

This would be of great value to people managing thousand of photos and audio files. By default I use an increment of 10 between files, to be able to insert in sequence additional files. From time to time I need to renumber the files in a folder to make room for additional files . I currently manage it by removing the old sequence number then re-inserting a new one, etc. with all the risks of manipulation errors. It would be much simpler if I could just select the Renum Radio button,

And thanks again for a fantastic tool, I use it many times a week.

Gilbert
glaprise

Re: Numbering(10) - Renumbering an existing Sequence Number

Postby HogCall » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 pm

To renumber, wouldn't everyone in the world have to use the exact same naming structure? What if the numbering system is in the middle of the file? ( date_number_description.ext) And if so, is it 2 digit, 3 digit, 4 digit? Is there a separator? Etc, etc. Each person has to select which characters to remove and where to reinsert the new numbers, right?
HogCall

Re: Numbering(10) - Renumbering an existing Sequence Number

Postby glaprise » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

The numbering(10) section parameters in the tool has already everything to locate and size correctly.
1) Pad : can be used to define the number of digits in the sequence number
2) Mode and at : are the location of the sequence number
3) Sep. : was use to indicate the separator when you inserted your sequence number
4) Start : is the first number in the new sequence
5) Incr. is the increment to use in the new sequence.

So if I enter : Mode = Insert, at = 15, Pad = 4, Start = 10, Incr = 10 : it means that my sequence number has 4 digit, where the 1st digit is the 15th character in the filename, and the numbers in the sequence should be 0010, 0020, 0030, ..... etc.

The same logic is already in the tool to insert a new sequence number. You could also use Mode = prefix and suffix to locate and existing sequence number.
glaprise

Return to Suggestions