Support date taken for .mov files

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Support date taken for .mov files

Postby mcb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am

Bulk Rename Utility has great features to rename media files based on the date taken, e.g. of JPEG files based on Exif metadata. It would be great if it could do the same for .mov files (as copied from iOS devices to Windows). I can see the original date taken as plain text inside the file, but Bulk Rename Utility doesn't recognize it (or I am doing something wrong).
mcb

Re: Support date taken for .mov files

Postby petermalling » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:44 am

This is a great idea, if it's really true that the date taken can be extracted from video files. Has this been implemented?
petermalling

Postby Admin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 am

No, sorry, right now only EXIF is supported :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3620
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Venster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:50 pm

It is very important to be able to sort and manipulate large quantities of files by the actual attributes of the data within those files.

The ability to identify and report on this type of meta data for almost ALL graphic and video media is natively supported in Windows. To see proof of this, go to a folder containing videos (View by details), right-click on any column heading and choose "More...". I have found that adding "Frame Width" and "Length" populates those columns for all of my .MP4, MKV, MPG, .webm, etc. files. Since Windows already has provided this data, why can't BRU utilize it or extract it?
Venster

Postby shaiya288 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:28 pm

I'd love to see this feature added. I frequently have a need to rename lots of video files based on the date they were shot. This feature would save a lot of time. Are there any renaming programs which support it?

UPDATE:
I have found the software which is capable of that.
For anyone interested, Advanced Renamer with ExifTool is able to bulk rename videos based on the date and time they were shot.
shaiya288

Return to Suggestions