UNC and network paths

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

UNC and network paths

Postby Mr Plow » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:41 pm

I know that it isn't currently possible to right-click and start BRU in an UNC location (or to Ctrl+j to an UNC path) unless it's actually mapped to a drive letter, do you think this is ever likely to change? Might this feature ever be added to BRU?

With home networks expanding, more computers, external drives, etc. it seems like something that'd be really useful.
Mr Plow

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Hi,

No, I'm afraid I don't envisage this changing. My code utilises the Shell Namespace, and the shell isn't automatically explanded for network drives. For example, \\MYSERVER could be in any one of a number of domains or workgroups.

I will have another look, but I think this is probably a minor omission given that there are workarounds by mapping letters.

Sorry....

Jim

PS You *can* use the Ctrl+J fucntionality to jump to a UNC path, but only once you have expanded the corresponding Network folder - that builds the shell namespace.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: UNC and network paths

Postby Eric Chadwick » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 pm

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'd like to add another voice to this request. Not resolving a UNC path for the shell is the only reservation I have left for BRU, it does everything else and does a fantastic job of it! It really is a solid tool.

I do get UNC support in other programs' shell access, like with WinRar and with the simpler renamer Rename It!. Would you be willing to reconsider adding this feature?
Eric Chadwick

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm

It's not a case of me reconsidering, it's just that I can't make it work reliably. Winrar and other companies have lots of technical resources available. I have me and google. If I can get it to work reliably then I will implement it, but at the moment I'm afraid it's not in the immediate pipeline.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Postby grpj » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Reference the earlier entry
Admin wrote:PS You *can* use the Ctrl+J fucntionality to jump to a UNC path, but only once you have expanded the corresponding Network folder - that builds the shell namespace.

I dont understand. When I press Ctrl+J, a window opens, I click the ... button, use windows explorer to navigate to and expand my desired network path, but then I still dont see the network drive as a path in BRU to choose.

Am I missing something ?
grpj

Postby gavcol » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I think I'm a bit late to the party on this one !!
I recently came across BRU and absolutely love the broad range of features and level of flexibility & customisability of the app.

This UNC limitation is hurting though. I have too many network paths to effectively map a share for each one so I rely on browsing by the unc path.
Expanded the corresponding Network folder first before using Ctrl+J doesn't work for me in Win10.

It's been 11 yrs since the OP and I'm hoping there have been some improvements or upgrades in the shell namespace ?
gavcol

Return to Suggestions