Numbering conflicts when renaming

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Numbering conflicts when renaming

Postby Erich » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:17 pm

First off, I cant thank you enough for the program, its still a staple on my computer no matter where I go, and ive been using it for years exclusively. cheers :)

Question / Suggestion

When im re-numbering a group of files, theres often a time when filenames will conflict. For example, if i have, say:

picture000.jpg
picture001.jpg
picture002.jpg
picture003.jpg

and I wanted to reorder them as:

picture001.jpg
picture002.jpg
picture003.jpg
picture004.jpg

it would immediately conflict, as the first file would match the name of the next file on the list. I get around this by processing it twice, first by adding a dud character to the files:

xpicture000.jpg
xpicture001.jpg
xpicture002.jpg
xpicture003.jpg

and then both removing the dud and renumbering them at the same time for the second run.

May I suggest a bypass function for a later version that can do something along these lines when renumbering? not default, but something someone can check off in case they have thousands of pictures or files that need re-ordering and this conflict of file names comes up?

Thanks for the time :)
~Erich
Erich

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi,

There's an option called "reverse renumber" which attempts to overcome this problem.

FYI There's a thread in this forum where I proposed a solution to overcome this, but I decided it was too risky to implement.

jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions