Renaming Files from a File

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Renaming Files from a File

Postby gordgoodfellow » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Is it possible for the utility to read a textfile with a list of filenames inside it and rename all the selected files from the list?
gordgoodfellow

Re: Renaming Files from a File

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:11 am

Yes, see the "Import Rename Pairs" function in Bulk Rename Utility.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordgoodfellow » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks.

I tried that, but with no results.

Let me get this right. I have a folder of files which I want to rename according to a list of filenames contained within a text file.

At present the files are called template1, template2, template3 ... template51. (although they could be called anything, as the utility's function is going to rename all of them.)

I locate the folder which contains these files in the left pane of Bulk Rename Utility. I select all the files therein.

I then select Actions > Import Rename-Pairs (as you have recommended). I have already created a textfile with all the names of the files (51 of them, so that the number of new file names is the same as the number of files to be renamed). I select this text file and click on Open.

I expect to see the new names of the file appear in the New Name column. But nothing happens.

Clearly there is something missing in this procedure, but without knowing what it is I cannot complete the process of renaming the files.

Therefore can you let me know where this instruction is?

Thanks.
gordgoodfellow

Postby gordgoodfellow » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:04 pm

No response from the earlier responder.

Therefore I must conclude that the facility DOES NOT WORK.
gordgoodfellow

Postby Admin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 am

Hi, when you import the file with the file name pairs, does BRU show the "Rename pairs imported" in the user interface?
Could you post here your import rename pairs file?
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions