changing dates of photos taken

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

changing dates of photos taken

Postby outlook9@shaw.ca » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 am

I am scanning thousands of old photos with an automated photo scanner. The scanned photos are being uploaded to icloud to be viewed on my ipad. I would like to change the dates created to correspond with the dates the actual photos were taken and have the photos appear in a logical order on the ipad.

The photo scanner allows me to enter the month and year the photos were taken, along with a description of the photos. For example, a stack of 40 photos taken at a wedding in July 1979 would be scanned, bottom first, and named 1979 07 Wedding 0001, etc. The date created would be the actual time that the scan took place, so the bottom photo would have a time stamp about 5 seconds earlier than the next. Under windows 10, this works beautifully with all of the photo sets in the proper sequence (based on the file name 0001, 0002, etc.) organized into separate folders for each set.

So now comes the time to upload everything to the icloud. As everyone who has an iphone knows, the photos are organized by date taken. In the case of the scanned photos, the photo sets appear in the right sequence because I have scanned them from oldest to newest. However, all of the photos in each set are in reverse order because of the way that the photos are fed into the scanner (bottom first). Manually changing the date for each of several thousand photos would take forever. I have successfully redated a few of the photo sets using the bulk rename software, with the result that all of the photos in each set have the same date created time stamp. The good news is that that photos no longer appear in reverse order ... the bad news is they appear in random order because the time stamps are the same.

I have gone through the manual and there does not appear to be any functionality to change the dates, in bulk, sequentially so that, for example, the 40 photos in the wedding set are redated so that photo 0001 was taken at 1 minute past the hour, 0002 taken at 2 minutes past the hour, and so forth. This would allow the photos to appear in correct order on the ipad.

So the first question, is there already a function in the software that would allow me to correct the timestamps with sequential intervals? Alternatively, is this a function that could be added?
outlook9@shaw.ca

Return to Suggestions